Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MummyMoo82
Beginner October 2012

Xmas engagement

MummyMoo82, 24 of December of 2012 at 07:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 29

Not me. Obvs.

Are you and your H taking bets on who will get engaged at Christmas? What are your general views on this? Personally I am not a fan. It's a time for everyone, not for you to steal the limelight. Unless you are the sort f people who LOVE Christmas, or will have a Christmas wedding? To me, it's more special if you do it at a random/ significant time.

Also, what is the etiquette on buying a ring as a present? Do you still get a regular present too?

29 replies

Latest activity by natalieexx, 28 of December of 2012 at 12:47
  • quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

It was one of my rules when we were talking about not to get proposed to xmas, my birthday or valentines!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

If you think Christmas day steals the limelight from people, nothing tops my FBIL.

Mother's day!

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

See I would have loved to get engaged at Christmas but then I LOVE Christmas!!

I don't think there are any of our friends who will get engaged but I might be wrong.

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

See, I'm a bit 'meh' about Christmas at the best of times so I was REALLY hoping my brother was going to ask his pregnant girlfriend on Christnas day to brighten it up a bit. He's not. I checked. ?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Maybe it's the pneumonia, but don't know and don't care. Bah humbug!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too ?

I had waited soooo long for him to pull his finger out and propose that I wanted it to be a complete surprise. Sunday afternoon in the living room - done.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I don't think we know anyone who will be getting engaged this Christmas. Family wise- my family aren't really into marriage OR Christmas & even if someone did get engaged i'd probably only find out about it after the actual wedding.

Friends wise, we only know one other couple who are living together, the rest are single/still living with parents/in newish relationships, so none of them would be my first guess.

Having said that I think FBIL's girlfriend has been applying the pressure since we got engaged as she keeps complaining about him pulling his finger out. They've been together years longer than us, so you never know he may want a quiet life and give in.

I think an engagement regardless of when it is, is a nice thing. It wouldn't be my personal first choice but I don't think i'd ever feel someone was looking to steal the limelight if they got engaged over Christmas. It's a lovely thing to be able to share with friends & family.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged on christmas day and it didn't bother me one bit, it was just the two of us anyway so it was our little moment.

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

Hehe, this was us too. I mentioned many years before when his brother proposed to his now wife at Christmas, that that'd be awful.

I cant think of anyone who might get proposed soon, let alone at christmas

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

I agree, I got engaged on Good Friday, everyone had a long weekend and it wasn't actual Easter Smiley smile Like Rose and Kharv it was in our sitting room, and its looking likely we'll be moving house in the next month or 2 so that could be a wee bit sad for me.

My sis got engaged the day before I flew home from honeymoon !! (we'd gone straight on honeymoon after our wedding!)

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine was Saturday afternoon in the kitchen as I dished out some ice cream and he knelt on a pile of dirty washing!!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Same as JLS, (christmas morning last year for me) it was lovely. We spend the day just the two of us anyways.

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content

I dont think I would have minded aslong as it was just the two of us not infront of the whole family, i see all the family on christmas day so it would be great time to share the new all at once (that could just be my lazyness kicking in i'd not have to let everyone know haha).

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

My first engagement happened on Christmas Day, I hated it.

Couple of years ago, I was saying to my H how sorry I felt for the women who were going to get engaged that Christmas, as it wasn't very original. He looked sheepish, and I discovered he was planning to propose on Christmas day. Lucky escape.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Me& OH got engaged 3 years today - we both love Christmas & it's close to when we became official. It was an obvious choice to us & I wouldn't change a thing. Christmas is ga

Ily time & both our families were delights, first engagement for both our patents, we see all our most favourite aunts, uncles, cousins etc.

I dont understand how it's stealing Anyones Limelight?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I, missed this point originally, but I agree, how is it stealing limeligt/thunder of christmas?

My great aunties had been asking for a few years each Christmas, 'any news?!' I don't think my proposal was any less 'original' even tho it happened christmas morning!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Fing iPad!! Suffice to say I disagree. I'm sick of writing my post and it being lost.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Don't think we know anyone who'll be getting engaged.

i too had the rule Quackers had...no birthday, valentines or christmas proposal. Told OH I wanted him to think about it carefully. Lol. But that said, I have a friend who proposed to his girlfriend on Christmas Day because they'd been together so long and he didn't know what else to get her and he was going to propose at some point so did it then!! Smiley sad they're very much in love but I thought it was very poor fr him to do it for that reason.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

My sister got engaged this morning. I'm delighted for her and she hasn't stolen anyone's limelight.

I think anything goes for engagements.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I'd not have been impressed if H had proposed at Xmas - I like Xmas to be it's own thing.. I don't want my Xmas dinner to be my celebratory engagement dinner - Xmas dinner is already a celebrating to me, but especially not if i'd have cooked it too - I felt I deserved a little moment of my own, that H had planned and thought about what i'd like! And I didn't want to share that moment with everyone else either, I wanted time to be loved up and giddy!

I'd also be very cross if I got a ring instead of a Xmas gift!

According to my FB there were a good few engagements yesterday - best one was a FB who's future husband had got Michael Mcintyre to write on a card the proposal and had presented her with it! I was thinking SIL may be proposed to (but nope) and that my brother may propose to his pregnant GF, but nope..

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't choose to be proposed to on xmas, birthday, valentines etc but then again I told OH I didn't want to be proposed to publically like in a restaurant or anything either.

Or course if he had I'm sure I would have loved it anyway it was just the thought of it made me a bit quesy.

I don't begrudge anyone else their xmas engagements though if it was perfect for them then excellent!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I can understand the 'stealing the linelight' if it was done in front of family etc as for me it would always be the anniversary of our engagement and to me that would over shadow Christmas day because I love it so much. As little Madam said I would feel Christmas dinner was our celebration of our engagement. I wouldn't have liked to have been proposed to in front of family anyway though.

I like having 'our day' he chose a day/place and did it the way he planned. If he had done it on Christmas day I'm sure i would have loved it but I like Christmas in its own right. Same as birthdays etc.

Three or four engagements were announced on Facebook yesterday which I think is lovely, just not for me.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We got engaged a few days before Christmas. I do agree with the limelight thing but from a different angle...

Another couple got engaged on Christmas Day, which was sweet but we had to share the limelight, one of my cousins got engaged at New Year, and then another friend propsed to his now wife 2 days after I told him I'd got engaged. I was not impressed.

**Is all "me me me"**

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt mind if mine was a Christmas engagement but I love Xmas and spending time with the family (I got engaged in New York which was perfect for us)

I dont know anyone that got engaged (so far anyway unless there is still an announcement to be made)

I also did say to OH way before we got engaged that I didnt want it to be in a crowded place etc

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

4 facebook friends got engaged this Christmas! It's a bit predictable but I'm not against it, I'd be happy if we had something extra to celebrate at Xmas if it was a friend/family member.

As to presents... H was amazing when we got engaged, not only did he suprise me with a whopping £3.5k diamond platinum ring (when we haven't got any money - he'd been saving for over a year on the side!) 5 days before me 21st birthday, he also bought me a Thomas Sabo charm bracelet and charms to go on it!

I got the ring 5 days before my birthday and obviously assumed that was my present, I certainly didn't expect anything else... morning of my birthday out comes the bracelet and charms! What a sweetie ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics