Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

laurabojangles
Beginner January 2014

Wedding in Lapland

laurabojangles, 18 of December of 2012 at 15:24 Posted on Honeymoons & Getting Married Abroad 0 189

Hi everyone,

Myself and my fiance are in the early stages of planning our Wedding in Lapland. We are hoping to get married in the Ice Chapel near Levi. The proposed date is in January 2014. I was just wondering if anybody else is planning a wedding there or has already had one there and could share their experiences and tips with me? Smiley smile

Thanks,

Laura ?

189 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 9 of February of 2016 at 16:47
  • M
    Beginner
    Miss_Laura ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a Lapland bride but I didn't want to just read and not leave a comment. We went to Levi last year for my birthday and it is an absolutely magical beautiful place. You will absolutely love it. It's like a completely different World. I even had tears in my eyes when we were leaving. All the best x

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura,

I am getting married in the ice chapel in Levi in March 2013. So would be happy to help you. If it wasnt for peoples help on other forums I would have had no idea were to start, so i am happy to return the favour! How far have you got? Are you looking for a wedding planner in Lapland?

Merc.

• fishface
    Beginner October 2017
    fishface ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

I just got engaged in Swedish Lapland, is that where Levi is? (I could have googled before I wrote but I got too excited!) I went to Kiruna and would love to arrange my wedding there but my guests would probably not be able to afford it and I certainly cannot! I would love to have my honeymoon there though and stay in a glass Igloo. The pictures look fantastic, please keep me update incase I win the lottery and can afford my dream wedding!

Amy xx

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amy,

Levi is in Finnish Lapland. Dont give up on having your dream wedding though, it took us seven years before we could finally plan ours!

Merc. xx

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

It is such a magical place isnt it? We absolutely fell in love with it!! Smiley smile x

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mercede5,

Ooooo how exciting for you! not long to go Smiley smile We have chosen a date and provisionally booked it, we are currently using Sun and Snow Weddings. Did you use a wedding planner? Smiley smile Tell me everything I need to know!! haha Smiley smile

xx

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura,

We are using a wedding planner, and would you believe it but we are using Sun and Snow weddings! Rue has been amazing and we are currently completing all our paperwork, which she has helped us through and given us lots of guidence. She has also recommended a place for us to eat for the meal after the wedding which looks just fabulous! We've found it excellent that with the wedding packages she has, you can take things out that you dont need. Like we decided we didnt need a cake as there is just the two of us. Although they looked fabulous!

We decided to book a log cabin for a week with Inghams which Rue recommended. I found them the best as a lot of other travel agents seemed to have a lot of package deals for four or five nights, but we wanted to go for a week.

I have been speaking to another couple on another travel forum. (Not sure if i can mention it here) who got married a couple of weeks ago in the Ice Chapel using Sun and Snow Weddings. They had an amazing time and the most magical wedding, and nothing but praise for Rue.

Personally I think your in excellent hands!

But any questions just ask - I know that being able to speak to someone on a forum who was using the same company and getting married at the same place has been a massive help.

xxx

• B
    Beginner March 2014
    bubbleandtich ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Claire and I are getting married there on the 5th march 2014 so let us know how you get on! we cant wait, paperwork is a pain in the arse but im sure it will all be worth it.

what hotel are you staying at? we are in the flying reindeer hotel. looks great but ya never know.

we wish you both all the best on your wedding day, have a fantastic time

Richard and Claire

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

You must be so excited - you won't regret it, it was the most magical experience for us when we married in March this year.

We didnt stay at the reindeer hotel but it looked gorgeous when we walked past it, and we spoke to some people on our flight that had stayed in it, and they seemed very happy with the hotel.

Where have you chosen to get married?

Hope you get sorted with the paperwork - it seemed so complicated to begin with, but thankfully it all fell into place.

• B
    Beginner March 2014
    bubbleandtich ·
    • Hide content

Hi and thanks for the reply!

yes Claire is bubbling all over the place and counting down the days lol

we are getting married in the ice chapel in the snow village, looks great from the photos.

got her ring the other day OUCH you women are expensive lol

Claire is arriving by husky sledge and i'm arriving via snowmobile yer baby! we are taking 10 family and friends with us and staying for the week so safaris and skiing all week. it kind of like one of the don't tell the bride programs where the groom sorts everything out except Claire's telling me what she wants and I have to organise it lol.

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

You are arriving in true Lapland style - love it! We married in the Luvatumaa Ice Chapel just outside of Levi, it was amazing, I felt like a Princess in a Disney Movie!

You are going to all have such an amazing time. I hope you'll still be hanging around the forum to lw=et me know how it all goes, I love hearing about Lapland weddings, it brings back such amazing memories of how beautful it is out there and what a special place it is to get married!

Also you sound to be doing fantastically well with the organising! ?

• L
    Beginner January 2015
    Lapland140115 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

we too are planning our Levi wedding for January 2015, it seems so far away but having sent out save the dates so we can sort accommodation etc (we want yo book it when it comes on sale in December) I'm getting a tad excited by all our guests getting excited about the prospect of Lapland, even the little ones "thanking fr christmas" for there presents in January.

We too are using sun and snow weddings, so my biggest panic Is dress, do you recommend heavier fabrics?im already planning on uggs, thermal pants and a fake fur jacket.

if anyone has any advice, I'd be greatful!!!!

thanks

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Fantastic to hear your having a Lapland wedding! Rue at Sun and Snow Weddings was absolutely fabulous. We had the most amazing time and do not regret a single second!

I just picked the dress that I wanted - I didnt worry about fabric. Most Lapland brides have a faux fur shawl/jacket or a cloak to cover their arms. I found a little ivory faux fur jacket on ebay, and I know a bride that got married in Lapland last year with Sun and Snow Weddings who had a gorgeous red cloak made.

Under the dress I wore thermal long johns (lady johns!?) not particually sexy but part of being a Lapland Bride. I found some white ones off Amazon. I also found a pair of white snow boots and had thick thermal socks on aswell. But UGG boots will do the job just as well!

We married in the ice chapel, and I wasn't cold, even when i took my jacket off for a few photos!

Leanne

x

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone!! Its been a while since I have been on here!

Thank you all so much for your replies Smiley smile

Not long to go now! 75 sleeps! aaaah! ?

xxx

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

Mercede5 we are getting married in Luvattumaa as well! Cannot wait! I have seen a few pictures of it in the building stage, its just so exciting!

I am having an ivory cloak with faux fur made to keep me toasty! And wearing white thermals and snow boots with diamontes on to add a bit of sparkle!

Do you have any photos of your amazing day that you would be willing to share?? Smiley smile

xxx

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bex23!

We are bring 21 guests with us including out photographers Smiley smile

We are then going back into Levi to have a meal in a restaurant xx

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

I think we are going to a steakhouse (cant remember the name of it!) Rue recommended it to us Smiley smile

Yes I am having a cloak made to keep me warm!

We booked with Inghams because thats who we have been to Levi with before. They are really helpful and decent value Smiley smile

I am having it packed up by the bridal shop to take on as hand luggage, I dont want to risk putting it on as hold luggage!! haha Smiley smile xx

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura,

Not long to go now, you must be so excited! I can't wait to see pics from your wedding and see how the Ice Chapel looks this year! I keep looking on the Sun and Snow Wedding Facebook page for the latest photos! Your cloak and snow boots sound so fab! I wish I was going back to Levi this winter.

Attached a few pics of our wedding - I just felt like a fairy princess in a winter wonderland, you are going to have such an amazing time.

Leanne

xxxx

• mercede5
    Beginner March 2013
    mercede5 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Bex,

Thank you for your kind comments - I wish I could be a Lapland bride everday!

I got my cover up on Ebay! (This is a UK seller) the seller was ossa-collection - I have tried to attach a link as they have lots of wedding accessories. I decided to go for a small cover up rather than a cloak as I'm fairly short and think I would have got a bit lost in a cloak!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ossa-collection

• L
    Beginner January 2015
    Lapland140115 ·
    • Hide content

Hi bed and Mercedes,

mercede5 you look stunning, bex I've decided on a fake fur jacket, in fact I've bought it already as I love it and I came up with the reason that I can take it dress shopping. It's grey and brown HuskY colouring sort of, I was very aware that white/ivory dress my very pale skin, white jacket I may look a bit washed out against the snow compared to my oh and bridesmaid. I'll certainly bookmark the eBay site for my bridesmaids cover up though.We get married jan2015 and is started dawning on us we are really gonna have to start planning this soon!!

I cake into a bit of money so haf has gone to the wedding and half to our dream Reykjavik and New York trip, I'm using this as an excuse to check out the different wedding ugg styles (my oh ex company had servers based in Texas so I was able to search us sites I can't normally get on) and new board boots.

we are taking up to 30 out with us, they have all said yes at the moment but I'm sure when we ask for the deposit the number will reduce. Luckily my friend is my hairdresser so she is doing my hair for me.

im so excited about returning to Levi I can imagine I will be unbearable for the next year (as I was before we went in January)

What are you doing about your flowers? I'm not sure what I want but I'm considering taking silk flowers so I can have something other than roses.

are any of you guys having/had uk receptions on your return? We are planning one but nothing mega money. It's our trade off I hate photos my oh hates dancing so he only gets to have a photographer if I get to get drunk and dance to cheesy tunes :-)

sorry for rambling

sarah

• L
    Beginner January 2015
    Lapland140115 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I've absolutely no idea what kind dress I want except I want diametes but nothing too big, I love jenny pack ham style dresses but they are way out of my budget. I know how fickle I am with dresses but I think when I find the one I will love it forever (I still love my bridesmaid dress from my beasties Italian wedding, even though I managed to stand on it and rip it before the ceremony). I've seen a beautiful dress on a us website which my oh thinks I should go see whilst we are in New York but it wouldn't just seem right without my mum and best friends.

Our uk doo will be something similar we went to a party in leeds last year that wasn't mega expensive which we liked but I think the venue may be a bit too small,though there's a few pubs and golf courses near me, that's a job for after xmas!

i want silver grey shrug for my bridesmaid, but I'm struggling getting a matching muff so I think she may be in white, I've seen muffs with silk flowers attached which look lovely, so I think she may have that in our colours.

we have most things planned what we want but hopefully won't cost more than our budget, my dad is a bit too excited about the prospect of a reindeer trip to the venue, really can't let him know abut the reindeer rampage we witnessed in January (it's on you tube) and I kinda like huskies, just the beautiful silence. Think that will just be for me and oh, let my dad have the reindeer.

we have just been planning the Lapland hen/stag do, we are all (well not my mum) are off ice karting, it's the one excursion we didn't do this year

• L
    Beginner January 2015
    Lapland140115 ·
    • Hide content

I just had to Google Ian Stuart and they are lovely, there is a stockist very near my best friends house which also does Justin Alexander, who is probably out of price range but I have to go and luck, plus as she can't make it (she is a teacher and I'm selfishly getting married in term time, she has asked her head but got laughed out of the office, I said she should pretend her baby has a cold but they don't want to tempt fate) it keeps her involved too. I am only having 1 bridesmaid, it was gonna be two but the evil headmaster got in the way! And I think I have offended a 3rd friend by not asking her, however I know she doesn't like the attention and she previously list loads of weight for other weddings before piling all plus some back on which I know sounds callous but I want her to lose weight for herself not for me when she has no reason to keep it off

the huskies are lovely we only did the mini safari but it was really cold (not-45 though) so it was enough, the dogs were beautiful and silent, I even forgot there was a driver on the back.

yes we went to Levi, we stayed in the chalets which were lovely so we are going back there, they were only a few minutes walk to the slopes and the village and were pretty much on the lake for the northern lights. Most of our guests are staying in the same place with the exception of 2 couples who are going in a hotel. All of the hotels in Levi looked lovely, though we didn't hear as glowing comments about the crazy reindeer as we did the others, however as we were nearer the k5 it was a bit of a trek over there after a day out on the hill. There were some lovely restaurants and bars we visited though we loved the bar at lift 8 for lunch.

We found that the snowboarders/skiers in the group are far happier in the chalets as they are quite social places, the others not so and are wanting their own space, though we have had to explain that they may not get the same group discounts we will.

With the 2014/15 brochure coming out in a few weeks we are stariting to get people's deposit money for inghams, so it's all starting to get really exciting :-)

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

So did I! haha Smiley smile

Luckily for me one of our Wedding Party is a hairdresser so she is doing all our hair so we can have trials at home!

We are all staying in the Levitunturi so we are all together!

We didnt send save the dates, we just invited the people who we wanted and then they paid a deposit when they said yes! haha! they got about 13 months notice Smiley smile

xxx

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

Wow your photos are gorgeous!! Smiley smile

Same! I want to see the chapel now!! hehe.

You look like a Princess! it is such a magical place!

xxx

• laurabojangles
    Beginner January 2014
    laurabojangles ·
    • Hide content

Haha it will come round very quickly and then you will have loads to do!! Smiley smile

We havent actually sorted out the food yet so to speak, just got a booking at the restaurant which we made around March time. And we are just staying at the hotel after the wedding, not doing anything different! Smiley smile

I actually just got off the phone to the lady from the bridal shop who rang to say my dress has arrived!! Ordered in August! They take a while to come in so keep that in mind... it took me from Dec last year to August this year to make up my mind!! xxx

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Sabby30 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies

I'm getting married in Lapland too next Dec I'm so excited!! I don't really know where to start and who to book with any advice would be great Smiley smile

thanks

Sabrina x

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Sabby30 ·
    • Hide content

No haven't been to Lapland but it has been on the place to visit for 10 years so we thought why not have a holiday and have the wedding at the same time Smiley smile yeah I emailed rue today and she was very helpful im just trying to compare prices and everything else before I book anything but finding it hard to pick a venue the northern lights house and glass igloo looks amazing but so does the ice chapel eeeeek too many things to choose from and to pick how are you plans coming along? x

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Sabby30 ·
    • Hide content

Im torn between the two ill have to get the OH to put his input in Smiley smile im not sure I see a lot of people go with inghams? as id like to spend the week there not just 4 nights etc! I was like you 2 years to go and suddenly its 12 months to go I don't now where that time has gone but I need to get organised and finalise what I want and where Smiley smile one thing that has been organised is my dress I put a deposit down next month im so excited Smiley smile x

• Janelly
    Beginner January 2015
    Janelly ·
    • Hide content

Lapland is such an awesome idea, especially in the wintertime! I am so used to destination weddings in tropical places that I honestly never even considered it. Good luck with everything, I'm sure it will be just gorgeous for you next month.

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    Stackers ·
    • Hide content

I have nothing useful to contribute other than I have just got back from Levi on a pre christmas/ wedding madness break and I am so jealous and wish we had booked to get married there. It is an amazing and beautiful place. Full on wedding envy here! xxx

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Sabby30 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I would love to be over there right now! was there a lot of snow?

A quick question for you ladies are any of you inviting guests to your wedding? im having a hard time with deciding what to do for the best

Sabrina x

• S
    Beginner December 2014
    Sabby30 ·
    • Hide content

Oh Bex it sounds amazing i've wanted to go for 10 years haha and now i'm getting married over there, the problem with inviting people is ive looked at 22nd Dec and I don't think anyone will want to come........ my parents have finally come around to the idea and are sounding more interested but the OH parents are older and have been saying how cold there are now let alone going down to -40 so im really not sure could you tell me if you get all the snow suits etc included and how warm can you get because his mother "feels" cold any day of the year :/ im also finding that nobody has really said anything about our wedding maybe they think its all a joke but at the end of the day its our day and if they cant be happy then not our problem right? sorry for the moaning Minnie but its really upsetting me any advice would be helpful xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics