Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner December 2012

Please help me with my dress saga :-(

LEA2012, 23 of October of 2012 at 14:48 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi ladies, I need some advice or at least reassurance as feeling very down and upset about my wedding dress! I had my first fitting booked for next week but I am not sure if any of you saw the thread over the weekend on here about the bridal gallery group going into liquidation? That was where my dress was and long story short after a stressful weekend of not knowing if I would get my dress or not, it was delivered to my house today by one of the directors of the bridal gallery. I have also found another local shop willing to do my fitting and any alterations for me.

I was so relieved just to have it in my possession I took it and signed for it just to get it in my house. On closer inspection I saw on the label that it was a UK size 18...I'm a UK size 12....don't panic I thought, I know that bridal sizes are not always accurate and so I got it out of the bag to have a look. It is HUGE!!! Like massive, I can step into it and pull it up over my bum and hips without undoing it, it's that big!

I called the bridal gallery lady on her mobile as I wanted to double check that a mistake hadnt been made and that this was actually someone elses dress, she said as she was out and about delivering dresses she couldnt check any paperwork just yet which I understand and she asked me for the original measurements that were taken by them when they ordered the dress and she will check later this evening as to whether a UK size 18 was the closest size to my measurements. She's just phone me back and said that they have ordered the right size for me according to Alfred Angelo sizing. My measurements at the time were bust 38.5, waist 32, hips 43 and the Alfred Angelo size 18 that they have ordered me is 41,34,44, apparently the size 16 was a 42 hip hence an inch too small and so they didnt want to order that one. I told the woman at the time I would be losing weight and she has basically just said to me that they ignore that and have to go from the measurements they take. My measurements now are 37, 30, 39, that probably gives you an idea of how big this dress is on me!!

I have also left a message for the new bridal shop that have offered to do my fitting to try to put my mind at rest that this big a size could be altered in size so much? But whilst I am waiting for a call back I'm having a bit of a stress, can a dress this big be altered so much without it looking stupid? Will altering affect the way it looks? Sorry for whinge just need some cheering up right now!!!

7 replies

Latest activity by natalieexx, 23 of October of 2012 at 16:28
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

To be fair to her, if those were your measurements when you were first fitted, it's really not her fault if you've lost weight.

As fair as alterations go, I might be wrong, but I'm sure they can go in by 2 or 3 sizes, so you should be fine. I'm sure you seamstress will be able to put your mind at ease!

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEA2012 ·
    • Hide content

I understand that but if I specifically said if I was between 2 sizes then please order the smaller then they should have done. I struggle to see how 41, 34, 44 were the best option to 38.5, 32, 43 to be honest. Makes me wonder what the point in going to a bridal shop and paying more and waiting months for your dress actually is? Might as well order from the internet and just order a random size and get it adjusted!

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I imagine they go by the measurements they take at the time because it's easier to take a dress in than let it out, so if a woman doesn't lose any weight they can still sort the dress easily. They should have told you which size they were ordering though.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

The dress shop did the right thing in ordering to your correct measurements. I know you have gone on to lose weight but I imagine nearly every bride they have in says they plan on losing weight. I know I did and I only lost a few pounds.

I don't really understand why they didn't order the 16 as I would have thought they could let the hips out by an inch but that may depend on the dress (It might be easier to take in than let out for instance).

Without seeing the dress it would be difficult to know if it can be taken in by approx 4 inches all over (even with seeing it really as I'm no seamstress!) but I'm sure your seamstress should be able to put your mind at rest.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what Ali said, they have to order the closest size based on your biggest measurement, as dresses can be taken in 2-3 sizes but only let out 1, if that. I told my dress shop I was going to lose weight, they said they had to order the size I was now as 90% of people say that, and most dont. I didnt lose weight, so it was a good job they didnt listen to me!

You have lost weight, but the shop were only going on their, what I assume, is vast experience.

Your dress will be able to be taken in, dont worry.

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

To re-iterate what Ali has said, they can normally take it in 2 to 3 sizes, so the adjustments themselves shouldn't be a problem.

I can see why the shop would have ordered it in the bigger size. To be fair, how many brides go into a bridal shop and say "I'm going to lose weight". I know I did, especially when they told me they had to order a size 22 just to fit my hips (I'm a size 14 on top and 16 on bottom normally!). I'm sure the bridal shop were just covering themselves in case for whatever reason you didn't lose any weight, and then you were stuck with a dress that didn't fit.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty sure dresses can be altered quite a lot. It depends on the dress i think but I'm sure it will work. Try and speak to the seamstress, they will be able to help.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure they will be able to take it in, don't worry. I can see why you're so upset, I'd be heartbroken!!

To me they should have ordered the 16 and then had it taken out an inch on your hips though? Surely that makes sense as it would be easier to alter the rest of the dress where it's too big then right? But I'm sure it will all be sorted soon, fingers crossed for you! xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics