• Manage your budget plan icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your budget plan icon You are currently on budget !

My budget: 10000

My Cost so far: 7,800

Create a free budget plan to organise your finances!

• Manage your budget
    • Keep track of your spending
    bottom arrow icon
    Manage my Budget
  • Manage your to-do list icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your to-do list icon You have 0 outstanding tasks!
    Tasks Complete: 32 Tasks Outstanding: 0

Create a free personalised to-do list to help make your planning easy and fun!

• Free step-by-step plan and time-line
    • Fun and manageable task list
    Manage my To-Do List Bottom arrow icon
  • New competitions to enter icon
    Budget close icon
    You have not entered any competitions

Make sure you check back regularly as we are always adding new competitions.

View Competitions Page Bottom arrow icon
hide
down arrow icon

party advice please

loobyg
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts:
  • party advice please

morning all!

next month we have Hs 40th and Connies 1st birthday on the same weekend. we have v little money but want to have a party so i'm thinking a garden party/bbq. However I really can't afford to buy loads of meat/alcohol! Would it be rude to ask people to bring their own booze/meat to a birthday party? I'll do salads and make a cake and a few desserts but i can't do much more. WWYD?

Sarah May, 26th October 2009

Connie Rose, 16th July 2011

Hand painted nursery art at http://kidscanvases.weebly.com/

Locked Contact
  • Re: party advice please

It's not rude. We never turn up at a BBQ without beers & steak- H insists! Have you thought about shopping in Aldi if there's one nearby? My sister always does her BBQ shopping there and it's so cheap compared to the big chain supermarkets.

Locked Contact

WhiteSparkles:

It's not rude. We never turn up at a BBQ without beers & steak- H insists! Have you thought about shopping in Aldi if there's one nearby? My sister always does her BBQ shopping there and it's so cheap compared to the big chain supermarkets.

thanks WS - I will be shopping for the party bits in aldi! I'll get a few bits and pieces but even at aldi prices i can't afford to feed 40-odd people!

Locked Contact

• Pittabre
    • Joined on 4 Apr 2007
    • Co Durham/North Yorkshire borders

loobyg:
    thanks WS - I will be shopping for the party bits in aldi! I'll get a few bits and pieces but even at aldi prices i can't afford to feed 40-odd people!

It might sound daft but if you can't afford to feed 40 odd people why invite that many? Why not invite less and then you could afford it? Although I think BYOB is acceptableSmile

Ex left June 18th (day after son's fourth birthday party and three days before my birthday)

He doesn't want us anymore - fine, we will have a lovely time without him.

Locked Contact

• Petal
    • Joined on 26 Jan 2007
    • United Kingdom

I wouldn't think it's rude. I think it's quite normal to bring drinks and food to a BBQ. As long as people know beforehand. We do BBQ parties and always ask people to bring their favourite drinks and meat (otherwise you end up either buying umpteen different things, not catering for veggies or only having sausages!)

Because I can...

Locked Contact

When we go to bbqs we always take our own anyway- maybe our group of friends are all tight Laugh As long as you make it clear it's bring your own then it's fine! And I presume they're all close anyway so they will understand

Otterly amazing

Locked Contact

loobyg:
    even at aldi prices i can't afford to feed 40-odd people!

That's a lot of mouths to feed Laugh I'd just mention that you'd like them to bring their own meat/alcohol, it won't be a problem I'm sure.

Locked Contact

Do you or a friend have a Costco card? Would make the meat a lot cheaper if you could go there.

TBH we do always take booze to friend's BBQs but never really meat. This may be just how it tends to work in our group of friends though.

I don't think it's a problem asking people to bring things but I would TRY and get enough for people to have say one burger just in case....

Locked Contact

We always take our own booze to a bbq and what usually happens is whoever is hosting the bbq will go out and get enough meat for everyone and then we would all chip in to cover the cost but we never have that many people.

I don't think its a problem asking everyone to bring something along.

Baby girlE Feb 04    Baby boyJ May 09

Locked Contact

Pittabre:
    It might sound daft but if you can't afford to feed 40 odd people why invite that many?

that is the lower limit! Because its a 'joint' party we have Hs a few of Hs friends (all of whome are married with a few kids apiece) then a few of connie's 'friends' from toddler group (most of whom will be bringing 2 parents plus a sibling) plus the inescapable family invites!

Thanks for your input everyone - I've sent out invites with 'bring your own booze/meat' at the bottom, our friends and family know that we're living only on Hs wage which (as he is self employed) isn't always a lot so they should understand! I'll go to aldi and get as much meat as we can afford too as well as salads, veggie kebabs etc too. Going to go to the local farm shop and see if they'll do me a deal too.

Hepburn: I no longer have a costco card plus the nearest one is so far i may as well shop at waitrose!

Locked Contact

• Pittabre
    • Joined on 4 Apr 2007
    • Co Durham/North Yorkshire borders

loobyg:

Pittabre:
    It might sound daft but if you can't afford to feed 40 odd people why invite that many?

that is the lower limit! Because its a 'joint' party we have Hs a few of Hs friends (all of whome are married with a few kids apiece) then a few of connie's 'friends' from toddler group (most of whom will be bringing 2 parents plus a sibling) plus the inescapable family invites!

Show offWink I knew there was a plus side to being anti-socialLaugh Just don't invite Connie's friends she won't know and in years to come point at pictures of random people and say they were your friendsLaugh

Ex left June 18th (day after son's fourth birthday party and three days before my birthday)

He doesn't want us anymore - fine, we will have a lovely time without him.

Locked Contact

• Duck24
    • Joined on 25 Jul 2005
    • United Kingdom

Not rude at all. Its manners in our group of friends for eveyone to bring something to the party, and we always bring our own booze!  let me know if i can help any!! Wish I was closer! xx

www.muralartistnorthernireland.co.uk

Hollie Sarah born 17.10.09 4 weeks premature due to pre-eclampsia

Charlie born 01.09.11 - 5 weeks early due to Pre-eclampsia!

Locked Contact

I'd never go without booze and meat. Have you thought of farmfoods? They've normally got offers on like 50 burgers for £3 and stuff? They might not be the best quality but people aren't too fussed at bbqs

Enjoy x

Jack 08/09/12

Daisy 19/07/10

Locked Contact
Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)