Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

pandorasbox
Beginner August 2012

Decoration ideas please! *now with venue flashes*

pandorasbox, 9 of June of 2012 at 19:45 Posted on Planning 0 29

Anyone had a balloon arch or having one? OH randomly asked if I wanted one t'other night and offered to pay out of his own money if I wanted any extra decorations since our wedding budget has reached its very last limit.

Can't decide if I think they're nice or tacky.

Edit - decided don't like anything balloonified and now thinking fairy lights or other. Any alternative suggestions? Pics of venue are on pg 2 if that helps ideas!

29 replies

Latest activity by pandorasbox, 10 of June of 2012 at 14:16
  • Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I like the big balloons (not in an arch though - more evenly spaced, in a line of four or five) - do you know the type I mean? Big and round ones - I like the white ones the most.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, but not a fan. Maybe spend the money on another type of decoration?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think they're a bit 80's. Sorry.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think these are the ones Gurzle is talking about. I like these.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love these.

Not a fan of arches though...

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Were having balloons, although not arches as I do personally think they are a bit tacky. We are having groups of 3 as table centres and 2 massive bunches of 15 on the stage behind the top table, maybe some big bunches set around the venue would work, either side of the entrance maybe?

• UnionJackDream
    Beginner March 2016
    UnionJackDream ·
    • Hide content

Personally I don't like them but its each to their own x

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes these are them! I think they look nice - the balloon arches are just a no no for me, they look so squeaky...!

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Maybe its me, but even the big balloons dont look right. More like a weather experiment than a wedding- sorry if anyone really likes them though!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Nah I don't think I like them. I have just looked at all the pics and think they look weird. Even the big ones. They just look a bit kids party-ish. I don't think it would add anything to our venue, which is more a country/barn type feel. Here is the reception with the front entrance to the right of the photo. The entrance barn is all brick work and beams, leading into the more 'clean' looking, minimalist bar area.

Wonder what other decs we could spend his cash on willy-nilly that would go nicely...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Fairy lights would look gorgeous on the beams.

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content

Just to add my opinion to the general consensus - IMO I think they look a bit tacky/ like a kids party etc, sorry! x

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Balloons of any description would be (my idea of) naff.

The little rosary (?) trees with lights in I find plesant though?

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

As we're just having an evening party rather then reception we've gone for balloons, although we've got purple and silver foil hearts as my mum is allergic to latex and she couldn't sit in a room with one balloon let alone 50!! Not a fan of arches, although I do like balloons if they done right, but I feel they are more informal.

I think fairy lights would look good too ( then again I am obsessed with fairy lights an would put them everywhere if I could!!)

S x

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Love the pics of the venue!

Fairy Lights - yes

Ballons arches - No

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I was wondering about fairy lights! When we first visited the venue the previous wedding had used them in the little trees outside at the front. They light up the back of the venue anyway, which is where most people would be once they have arrived at the reception (if it is a nice evening), but have found an example where they lit the front as well and used fairy lights:

And they light the inside any colour we would like, we would either go for warmer blues or let the natural light in

I have found this grogeous willow archway which is on the venue's event's page but it isn't actually at the venue itself, but I bet it would be very expensive and not sure where it would work as the venue has such wide spaces.

So if OH magics up some money, it seems fairy lights is the best option for adding decor then? I can't really think of anything else that wouldn't just overshadow or kill the vibe of the venue.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE this. Absolutely love it.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

This is beautiful!!

S x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I personally think they a bit 'kids party'.... We did have some on a few tables at our evening reception as H wanted them .

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I personally think they are bit 'kids party'.... We did have some on a few tables at our evening reception as H wanted them .

• pinkle86
    Beginner September 2012
    pinkle86 ·
    • Hide content

Im not a fan of balloons either, however we are having white paper lanterns with electric candles in the fairy lights stung up - a little bit like below

• T
    Beginner March 2013
    The future Mrs O ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I have to say they're a bit tacky, very 80's. You should save the money for something else cos I bet they cost a bomb!!

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

LOVE the willow arch. ? xxx

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That looks stunning!

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

That willow arch is beautiful. Fairy lights would be lovely - balloons are a bit childrens party, IMO.

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

A mix of fairy lights and coloured organza would look amazing on those beams x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

How about tall free standing sheafs of hazel twigs with fairy lights on at either side of the stairs if they have plugs near enough. The tall bundles of twigs are around £20 and stand about 5ft tall roughly.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone!

Don't want candles, love the idea but they freak me out as I have a fear of open flames (dunno how I used to manage when I smoked!) but love the idea of the bundles of hazel or similar with lights twined around. Just trying to figure out how to go about getting it organised.

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics