• Manage your budget plan icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your budget plan icon You are currently on budget !

My budget: 10000

My Cost so far: 7,800

Create a free budget plan to organise your finances!

• Manage your budget
    • Keep track of your spending
    bottom arrow icon
    Manage my Budget
  • Manage your to-do list icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your to-do list icon You have 0 outstanding tasks!
    Tasks Complete: 32 Tasks Outstanding: 0

Create a free personalised to-do list to help make your planning easy and fun!

• Free step-by-step plan and time-line
    • Fun and manageable task list
    Manage my To-Do List Bottom arrow icon
  • New competitions to enter icon
    Budget close icon
    You have not entered any competitions

Make sure you check back regularly as we are always adding new competitions.

View Competitions Page Bottom arrow icon
hide
down arrow icon

First GP appointment

queencrunchy
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • First GP appointment

Hi,

I've got my first GP appointment this week, when I estimate I'll be around the 6 week mark. What should I expect that they'll do? Can I go armed with a massive list of questions, or is all that for once I'm referred to the midwife?

I can't wait for the appointment, I might actually begin to feel properly pregnant! At the moment I'm just freaked out one minute and completely underwhelmed the next.

Locked Contact
  • Re: First GP appointment

• Pittabre
    • Joined on 4 Apr 2007
    • Co Durham/North Yorkshire borders

First time for me the GP checked I was pregnant with a urine sample. Later times they just accepted it!

Last time it was a fairly young male GP and he was so excited he wanted to tell me everything! But before it had been fairly udnerwhelming. The MW deals with all the questions in my area but it is really different from area to area!

Ex left June 18th (day after son's fourth birthday party and three days before my birthday)

He doesn't want us anymore - fine, we will have a lovely time without him.

Locked Contact

All that happened at my initial GP appointment with both of mine was confirmation of my due date, they took my blood pressure and filled in the form to refer me to the midwife. It was pretty disappointing the first time tbh!

Joshua Luke ~ 2.12.07

Jacob Matthew ~ 7.7.10

Locked Contact

What can you expect from the gp? Possibly a congratulations but other than that not much really Laugh, the gp refers you to the mw (although in a lot of areas you can self refer so I'd check if you can in your area to cut out the gp iyswim), the mw will then do blood pressure, pulse, height and weight and will refer you for your scan. She will test your urine and go through your medical history (of you, your h and close family ie parents and siblings)

#1 Baby boy 01/09 7lb1oz

#2 Baby boy 11/10 Angel

#3 Baby boy 02/12 6lb10oz

Locked Contact

Your GP probably won't do much other than fill in forms and give general advice.  My GP told me not to miscarry when I was expecting O.... Thankfully, I was able to self-refer to the MW this time round.

Formerly known as DumbleSpud

#1 Baby boy 11/11/10  6lb 11oz Angel Jan & Feb '12 #2 Baby girl Due 28/12/2012

Locked Contact

Thanks for your replies. I enquired at the GPs whether I needed to see a doctor, or a nurse or the midwife attached to the practice, and they said book with a GP. I hope they do re-test me, I have a horrible feeling I tested wrong and got the wrong result! Mind you, a digital test saying pregnant 3+ is pretty difficult to ignore!

I think I'll make my list of questions anyway. One or two are more urgent than the others, so maybe I'll see if I can get answers for those from the GP and save the others until the midwife appointment.

Locked Contact

• Pittabre
    • Joined on 4 Apr 2007
    • Co Durham/North Yorkshire borders

queencrunchy:
    I think I'll make my list of questions anyway. One or two are more urgent than the others, so maybe I'll see if I can get answers for those from the GP and save the others until the midwife appointment.

Can we help you at all?Smile

When they tested the first time, the GP said I must have my dates wrong as my hCG levels were so high!

Ex left June 18th (day after son's fourth birthday party and three days before my birthday)

He doesn't want us anymore - fine, we will have a lovely time without him.

Locked Contact

My gp didn't test me, they went by my dates and just took my name and address and said the midwife will contact me in a few weeks, that was pretty much it so hoping the midwife is more helpful

Locked Contact

In our area you go straight to the midwife who fills in all the relevant paperwork, I cant imagine that a dr would do much more than maybe a test, blood pressure and give you your bounty pack

Baby boy J December 2010 8lb 7oz

No. 2 due Jan 2013

Locked Contact

The GP just took my BP and referred me to the midwife. She didn't re test me. Have a think which hospital you want to go to (if you have a choice near you), as she asked me where I wanted to be referred to.

#1 - 2/2/12 7lb 8oz

Locked Contact

First time, the receptionist told me I had to provide a sample for another test (having asked me if I wanted to talk to someone about the pregnancy - I was not amused and mentioned this to the GP) and it came back negative. The GP chuckled and told me that my 4 tests done at home couldn't be wrong! I was told though that it's not policy at our doctors to retest.

Joshua Luke ~ 2.12.07

Jacob Matthew ~ 7.7.10

Locked Contact

Margot did the receptionist do the test Eek Eek what a bloody cheek!!!

Ds I'd have been furious!!!

#1 Baby boy 01/09 7lb1oz

#2 Baby boy 11/10 Angel

#3 Baby boy 02/12 6lb10oz

Locked Contact

I remember being all excited but it was a bit of a let down as I was only 6 weeks pregnant & was told I needed to wait till I was 8 weeks as they don't start the paperwork on a pregnancy so early (After that comment I was worried that obviously a high number of pregnancies end very early). At 8 weeks I went in again & all the gp did was take my details to give to the midwife. At 1 of these appointments I asked my gp to do a pregnancy test & she did 1 to humour me as she said that the 4 positive ones I'd done at home would be correct!!

Locked Contact

Our appointment, IMO was a complete waste of the doctors time.

I rang up to say I was pregnant, and the receptionist booked me an appointment at 6ish weeks with the GP, who said "Congratulations". followed by "I am assuming it's happy news" - TBF to her, I didn't look like a happy pregnant lady having just returned from a cruise when I was ill every single day, but still.. I thought it was a little off.

Then she made sure I was taking folic acid, and sent me back to reception to book in with the midwife post 8weeks - the first MW appointment was just a form filling excercise with my blood preassure/bloods/urine tests mixed in.

Locked Contact

Mine was a waste of time too, but here you have to see a GP to have the pregnancy confirmed and be referred to a midwife.

He basically prescribed me some folic acid, took a test and weighed me. That was it.

ETA he was a sweet doctor and spilled my sample all over the side ROTFL

S - JULY 10 Baby boy

Sibling to Sawyer due 6.12.12 Fluffy

Angel Tight-Arse of the Year 2012 Angel

Locked Contact
Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12Next >