Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fireflies
Beginner June 2013

A really "WOW" wedding dress?

Fireflies, 5 of June of 2012 at 22:40 Posted on Planning 0 49

I am getting rather frustrated at wedding dress shopping - I have been one of those girls who dreamed of her wedding day all her life and imagined an amazing dress but I am just not finding it anywhere! I want something different, and a real wow/statement dress - but not quite as far as My Big Fat Gypsy wedding! Can anyone recommend any designers/dresses or flashes of your own dresses that are like that maybe? Everything I have seen is too 'elegant/simple' etc, and whilst I obviously want to look nice, I want something that makes people go 'wow!' (in a good way!) The closest I've seen/tried on to a wow dress are pronovias/Ian Stuart but still not really seen what I want (although have only so far had a chance to try on a few pronovias dresses and have an appointment at their store in a few weeks!) I would like quite a big train (rather than a princess style ballgown which is big all the way around). white and preferably corsetted top part and not fishtail/body fitting below the waist as I'm pear shaped and it does not flatter me if it is tight all the way down... also really want it to be something different - such as the pronovias dresses with feathers perhaps?

Any suggestions/pictures/ideas??

(Thank you so much in advance!) ?

49 replies

Latest activity by Fireflies, 13 of June of 2012 at 19:43
  • Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content

No I hadn't heard of her before...just had a quick google but can only see about 20 or so dresses by her - is that the full collection or I am looking at the wrong website etc? A lot of hers look mermaid like but I have seen a few that look more like what I'm looking for so thank you for the suggestion! Smiley smile

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at Angelina Faccenda?

Mine is a copy of one of hers.

• sugarbox
    Beginner December 2012
    sugarbox ·
    • Hide content

Maybe you can find the dress online,i want to recommend a site to you,maybe you can find the dress from here.You can try mylove-dress.com,good luck for you.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is Pronovias Bianca & it sounds a bit like what you want although it might not be wow enough. It's A-line so doesn't cling to your lower half & although its buttoned at the back it does pull you in A LOT! Wait for your next appointment & when you go in explain exactly what you're looking for. Do try on atleast one "plainer" one though, loads of women say they end up going for something completely different to what they thought & if nothing else it's an experience!xx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Mine was a Claire Pettibone. Lots of her dresses have a "wow" factor. Mine was structured at the top (but not boned/corsetted) and looser around the hips, with a long train. I tried on a few of hers and they were all immensely flattering. They were all also incredibly light.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Depends on your budget but have you looked at

Vera Wang

Or Vivienne Westwood?

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

You sound like me, I am also looking for something a bit 'wow' Smiley smile I had seen Ian Stuarts stuff, and was told to also look at http://www.linearaffaelli.be/ and Estes Couture. Haven't really had a chance to look at their collections myself yet, but may be of some help to you!

• G
    Beginner December 2012
    Gemicle ·
    • Hide content

This? or this? or this or this...

... god i miss dress shopping

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for all the replies ladies - sorry I've been away for a few days so only seen them!!

See, THIS is how damn picky I am - I like the look of the dresses above but I STILL don't think any of them are 'wow' enough!!! They're definitely big enough - possibly even too big as they come out all around rather than giving a big train, but they're just not special enough to me..the second one along on the top row is closest, without the flowers - to what I have liked so far, but then I think that is still quite 'samey' for a wedding dress - albeit bigger than usual, but still a strapless corset style top with a big princess skirt..so not something special and rare.

I have also had a look of some of the other suggestions but again not found something I like yet!! The other thing I keep saying to people in bridal shops is that I don't want to wear anything that you could ever wear to any other occasion than your wedding - so say even if you dyed the dress black - I want something that is so special that even in black to the oscars or something, people would still think it was out of place unless it was your wedding!! Ha ha I sound like SUCH a bridezilla, I swear I'm not as bad as I sound but do you know what I mean? I don't want something wacky or gypsy wedding like over the top, I still want to look stunning and elegant, but just special - like a real amazing dress that people would think was amazing but I only could wear it as it was my wedding day? Maybe I'm being over the top and it's unattainable...I don't even have a specific vision in my head so can't get one made (not that I would as I would not want to pay for something that I might not like/be right - as it has been suggested to me!!)

I'm off to explore Vera Wang and Vivienne Westwood now - thank you for that suggestion - I have no idea of the prices of them though - I had thought as non 'designer' ones - meaning non-general designer ones, go for around 1K upwards that 'real' designer ones would be too much! But...I can look... ;p x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think you might be on a hiding to nothing but the only thing I can think of that would look that daft at the oscars or something would be an absolutely mahoosive train. Which would drive me barmy but each to their own.

FYI I think Vera's start at about £5000.

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content

Yeah sorry I thinK I went over the top with my oscars analogy!! Had a few glasses of wine! Maybe a better example is something that dyed black would still be too much for a ball or something? (Altho who goes to balls!?!?)

Fingers crossed for pronovias! X

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

If you dyed mine black, it would look like a wedding dress dyed black and quite tragic, to be honest. I think you might be underestimating how wedding-y most dresses are. I also think that, at the top end, these are the dresses that DO transfer to formal events better than others.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Does it have to be a big princess dress?

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, not at all, just as long as it isn't tight below the waist (like fishtail/mermaid etc) as they don't suit my body type, so preferably corsetted at the waist, but I do want a big train...!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

What about this?

• L
    Beginner September 2013
    lakedistrict2013 ·
    • Hide content

Aww love looking at photos of wedding dresses. Did you spot any you like? Here are a few I saw.....

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Uhmmm ok, maybe finally found something that's one step too far on what I'd want!! But thanks! But no, don't want one tight below waist as this is, and also a bit OTT! Thank u though! x

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

those are definitely more like what I'm looking for but none jumps out at me... definitely want white with long train though - and I like the one along the top on the right, so 2nd one in but probably will be too hot for a wedding at end of June (next year)

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I got married April 21 2012 in the Mon Cheri - Jolie dress - it's the bottom left one on the photos above. All I would say is try it on because the photos really don't do it justice. Even the ladies in the wedding shop said the photos on the internet don't nearly do it justice. I also had a sweetheart neckline made on it

I got so many complements on it - and from friends of friends who had seen the photo on facebook etc. Really seemed to malke an impact.

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content

Is this the one you don't know who it's by?? I quite like this one....!

• T
    Beginner December 2011
    tallgal ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, it's hard isn't it! I think my dress had the wow because it was unusual- a marmite dress- love it or hate it!!!

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I had an Ian Stuart ❤️'d it! It had a massive train ...

• J
    Beginner September 2014
    judylove1122 ·
    • Hide content

I like Pronovias and Morilee Wedding Dress

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Some amazing dresses on this thread!

Indigo, which dresses have you tried on already?

Id suggest going to a bridal shop and trying on pretty much anything, that's not fishtail/mermaid (if that's definitely not what you want). You never know, a dress that might not wow you online or on the hanger may feel totally different on.

I am determined not to have a strapless dress but I'll still try them on, and if the One is strapless then so be it.

I think when you're dress shopping you need to be as open minded as possible.

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

I think my dress is quite wow? ?

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've tried on quite a few, but they were mainly in the sort of typical bridal boutiques that obviously have gorgeous dresses but cater more to the elegant/lace/fishtail/slim fitting type dresses...

I have tried on one or two pronovias dresses and Ian Stuart and they were definitely more what I was looking for so I'm guessing I need to focus on those designers, or similar ones.

It's not just fishtail/mermaid ones I don't like, it's all the sort of slim-fitting ones if you know what I mean? They don't really suit my figure, or perhaps they do, but they just don't look special enough for what I wanted! So definitely need a reasonably bigger skirt part (is A-line what I mean? Not sure of the terms, but definitely want it to really cinch in at the waist as that's my smallest part so looks the most flattering - my favourites for how they look at the moment on me are Annalise by Maggie Sottero and Sophia Tolli Hadley - but although they are gorgeous dresses, it's not been 'wow' enough for me - or at least I keep looking for a nicer one, and don't really want to settle for one that doesnt give me that 'omg this is the one!' feeling.

Ditto what you said about strapless too - I really didnt want strapless but everything out there appears to be strapless atm! I actually wanted a lace sleeves one similar to Kate Middletons - BEFORE she wore it! I remember actually storming downstairs to tell my mum I was so annoyed that her dress was so similar to what I wanted as now everyone would think I was copying her ha ha!! (and wasn't even engaged then!) Obv now theres the benefit of more of those style dresses existing now, which weren't really around before, but I don't really want one that people will compare to hers now and think I chose to look like her! (I know these things dont really matter but they feel like they do! Although have yet to see one like that to try on so maybe I'll be tempted!)

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's lovely (is it Maggie Sottero?) but two of my friends have worn similar style dresses so don't want one with the little layers like that all over as don't want comparisons to their dresses! x Ahhhh I'm so picky lol! sorry!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Something like this has the neckline of Kate's without being too similar?

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was exactly the same, when I saw her get out the car, I was fuming!! But it has helped that there are a lot more classic antiquey lace dresses about, this is the sort of thing I'm going for, fitted at the top, full lace but not fitted all the way down

• Fireflies
    Beginner June 2013
    Fireflies ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, you guys are so helpful!! I feel bad I keep saying this, but still not right ha ha! As much as I loved the dresses with lace sleeves etc, it doesnt seem common that they are combined with the bling/feather/something different that I'm looking for! I guess it's more likely if you want a dress with lace sleeves etc/similar to Kate's then you're more likely to want it to be simple elsewhere and elegant etc...

I'm so damn picky! Hope people aren't offended if I don't like their suggestions - I am massively appreciative of you guys all taking time to look for pictures and reply etc... it's helping for sure..even if I've not found the ONE yet! (I bet I'll end up in something totally different from what I've said I wanted, eh?!) ? xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Apparently these designers make more extravagant dresses. I can't get on the sites at work so just posting addresses:

https://www.alanhannah.co.uk/

https://www.suzanneneville.com/

http://www.estes-couture.com/

https://linearaffaelli.be/

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Ohh kharv, I think I fell in love with the Suzanne Neville site. This dress seems wow to me, but it might be a bit too bland Indigo - http://www.suzanneneville.com/nostalgiaweddingdresses/lombard/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics