Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2011

Shoot It Yourself on Dragon's Den!!!

louisepalmer79, 20 of September of 2011 at 15:28 Posted on Planning 0 22

I am sooo excited....I've just found out the company I used for my wedding video (www.shoot-it-yourself.co.uk) are going to be on Dragon's Den next week!! I am now wondering whether my wedding video is going to be used as an example of their brilliant work. I have to say - I LOVED my wedding video and have watched it so many times I recommend it to everyone I know (the company, not my video....although I did tell everyone to watch that too, oops!). Thankfully we had a couple of friends who were great with the filming and really embraced it - I think there's even a photo of me doing some filming in the evening too...I found that everyone was VERY happy to be in front of the camera when the bride is filming on the dance floor ?

Watch out for them on BBC2 next Monday (9pm I think) as honestly, aside from our wedding photos, the video is def the best money we spent on the entire wedding (aside from my dress too, obviously!).

Sorry - just had to share it as just found out and my work mates are so over my wedding talk now!!!

L x

22 replies

Latest activity by pixbyvish, 27 of September of 2011 at 18:39
  • Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I heard they were going to be on dragons den but wasn't sure when it was. My OH is addicted to it so we will be watching. I looked at there website when looking for videography and agree it was expensive especially as you are shooting it yourself. I have managed to get 2 camera men filming all day up until first dance for less than what they wanted for shooting it yourself xx

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    Chippers ·
    • Hide content

Cheap isnt always good !

We are looking for a videographer now, and have sent off for a few sample DVD's, some have been shocking, but they are the cheap ones.

We are in the mindset of pay a bit more for something that is going to be a lifetime memory !

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

Yes I have definatly done some research and he was reccommended by the bridal shop I got my dress. I wouldn't part with that amount of money without checking first. I would be devastated if it was awful xx

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Wow.....thats pricey considering that they arent even there on the day!

Like the concept, but I know a lot of VOGs that would come and film your wedding for less than that!

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

I've booked the SIY 2 camera package already, got quite a good deal through a promotion in Brides magazine but it was still very pricey. I'm glad to hear someone has had a good experience with them. I know it's just editing but "just editing" is actually a real skill, and I was sold by the 30 minute montage aspect. I want our guests to feel as relaxed as possible so thought they'd be more relaxed in front of the camera if it wasn't "official."

• P
    pixbyvish ·
    • Hide content

The company sounds very interesting and the concept is great (if you trust your family and friends with a camera). I wonder if something similar might be started for photography? From the weddings I've snapped, only a small number have had someone videoing. The last wedding I went to had some guys with the proper set-up (multiple cameras, broadcast-quality gear) and I thought they were great but I like the idea of a unique spin. Would be interesting to read more feedback from those who've purchased camera packages from SIY.

• P
    pixbyvish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to work in a post-production house (in fact I used to digitise rushes for Dragons Den!) and concur, editing really is a special skill, is very time-consuming and is something that I'd happily hand over in a flash. I agree, I think your guests would feel more relaxed with someone who isn't official and it's nice to know you don't have to worry about having to piece the day together (so to speak). I suppose the only considerations are not to trash the camera and to make sure it doesn't get half-inched!

• D
    Beginner November 2011
    DTTB ·
    • Hide content

I have a feeling whoever wrote this might work for them................

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    louisepalmer79 ·
    • Hide content

I must admit, when I heard of SIY at the wedding show I wasn't 100% sure as at the time, me and my OH were not keen on getting a wedding video at all BUT after we saw their website and examples of their work, we realised it was completely up our street. Most wedding videos seem to just be footage with music played to it which I found to be incredibly dull and I wondered when I would actually watch it but with ours, it's set to music of our choice (Florence and the Machine, Lady Gaga etc), which is great as now whenever I hear the songs on the radio, it reminds me of our wedding day ?. It also features all of our friends, giving us advice, singing to the camera etc - which basically lets us re-live the day, over and over again.

The cost wasn't too bad as we got a discount by booking at the wedding show and had 2 cameras so could do a video diary room where people left us messages and the final DVD had a 30 minute montage of all the best bits, including the ceremony and speeches alongside individual chapters, I guess you would call them, which shows the whole ceremony (including my crying and being given a fan by the registrar - oops!) and all the speeches, unedited. Ideal really. I was even able to leave a little messgae for my nan who couldn't make it ☹️

I would def recommend them as a great company; they are innovative in their approach and went hand in hand with my reportage photographer (we only had 4-5 set photos so we are def anti formal!) - and I think it's an ideal wedding video for couples getting married who want something more personal and informal.

x

• S
    Beginner July 2010
    shootityourself ·
    • Hide content

Hello Everyone.

Shoot It Yourself here. Just thought we say a BIG thank you to Louise for all of her lovely comments and everyone else for their comments good and bad. i think that we have certainly struck a chord in the wedding video market as there has never been a alternative to having a traditional wedding video. Becs and I both worked in TV for MTV and BBC3 for 10 years so we thought it could do with a bit of a face lift!

ALL of our efforts and creative energies goes into the edit which is of course where the magic happens and with the guests personal home video footage, we've got the best chance of making something totally unique and meaningful.

They're also discussing us on Wedding Ideas chat too!

http://www.weddingideaschat.com/index.php?showtopic=245635

Whether you love us or not, we're on Dragons Den THIS Monday so make sure that you tune in to see if we get the investment!

Andrea and the SIY team xxx www.shoot-it-yourself.co.uk

• F
    Beginner June 2011
    finallydoingit ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Just for those of you that are interested I have booked SIY for my wedding June next year. I did so after I shot the majority of my friends wedding video last September who used SIY......plenty of people wanted to shoot it but I got a bit of a directors head on and wouldn't let go!!. Our friends are really excited about it and are already watching the tutorials looking for ideas! I have watched my friends loads of times and just don't tire of it, I really wanted something fun that I could show my kids one day. Honestly, I have come up with crazy ideas with mine, I want the boys to introduce themselves like they do on Soccer AM cross bar challange and they will listen to all our ideas and make them work. I really wanted to do the hen package they offer but it is a bit out of my price range now, it would be a nice momento for the girls though.

Before any cynics say that I work for them I don't and am happy to produce my invoice to prove it, I just wanted people who are keen to know what a great end result you get, I really wasn't sure when Keeley booked it but her video is wicked.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Welcome to the forum.....Any new concept that shakes up tradition is worth looking at. I haven't seen your website or examples, and editing has been commented on, although a key element of the day which hasn't been mentioned is the natural sound...vows etc. With the wrong microphones, this can sound very hollow, yet is vitally important to get right. How do you deal with this??? You can't simply eq it out.....btw, I am not a sound geek?

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Btw...despite my questions, good luck on the den?

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Update...Hillary offered to support the company in return for 26% share of the business which was accepted...

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

I was watching last night and am glad they got the investment. They both seem like lovely ladies who are passionate about what they do. I do however still think its very expensive. I know I couldn't afford to pay that amount. When I was searching for videography they all included filming, editing, dvd etc and was the same sort of price. I did look at shoot it yourself as a cheaper option but it wasn't cheaper. I wish them all the luck in the world though with their business and I am sure it will go from strength to strength especially with the investment xx

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

I can't say I like the concept.

In my previous experience with a video camera, my film has been very shaky, even with 'anti-shake' on. I've also had problems when pointing at a window and it all go very bright or very dark. I think you need to know what you are doing.

I also tried filming on holiday once and the camera turned off, I thought the batteries had gone flat, charged them and it didn't make a difference. And I presumed it had gone faulty, but one of the girls found a switch I must have hit that put it into sleep mode or something.

It was an easy mistake to make, considering I'd borrowed the camera and didn't know how to use it. The same could happen to anyone, and you don't want anything like that happening on your wedding day.

Much better to have someone operating it, who is experiened in doing so.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I think this has a bigger range than weddings. Two things bother me though (regarding weddings).

You can get videographers / photographers for similar money.

You can't polish a poo. If the people using the cameras suck no amount of editing can save it. (Think disposable cameras at weddings).

This has scope, but for weddings I think it's a bad idea.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

Not for me. I want my guests to relax on my wedding day, I wouldn't want them to feel under pressure to produce an exceptional video of our day, that should be down to a professional imo. And like someone has said, who's to say the quality and sound will be brill, you can't make a crap video good. Not worth £900 in my opinion.

• B
    Bev Downie ·
    • Hide content

I think it is a fantastic idea for a bit of fun. I have offered a guest cam since I started so that an Usher or guest can film the preps and drinks reception etc and I edit it afterwards but only at weddings where I am filming so I can keep an eye on my camera and the person operating it. It is true people are a lot more relaxed with someone they know. The obvious downside to this kind of recording is the audio of the ceremony and speeches in the samples is very poor, which is to be expected with one camera mounted microphone. These are great if you are very close to the subject with nothing blocking them as they are directional and without background noise. Really ceremony and speeches need radio mics to capture in any sort of quality, which then involves radio licenses and a whole lot more hassle. I see it as the 'photobooth' of the video world, a load of fun but not top quality. I wish them the best of luck as it is a great concept but do be sure that this is really what you want before you book it over a professional videographer.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I saw this with the OH last night and decided that we would only have this as a fun option - in addition to a videoographer. Firstly I wouldn't trust my actual wedding video to be recorded by my friends and family as you only get one shot, and I would rather that they were there enjoying the ceremony rather than filming it!

As for the cost, it is more than a lot of videographers!

Oh and Chris... correct, you can't polish a poo but you can roll it in glitter! ?

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

I think what Mrs. C and Bev said makes sense. I would see this as an extention (photobooth fun type of thing) rather than in place of a professional videographer. It would be my worst nightmare at a wedding ceremony if there was this as I can see it really affecting my ability to do my job covering the wedding. There is a relationship between videographers and photographers where we know what each needs to do, and it's like a dance where we move to allow each to do their part. An excited guest wouldn't know the steps to this dance,, and it could result in very expensive photographic coverage being severely compromised. But for the reception, maybe for fun. That's expensive fun too, lol.

• P
    pixbyvish ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea and it's evident that it's a workable business. I would say it's at least an option to consider. Professional videographers are very good though, depends on what floats your boat. I've shot videos with a handful of videographers and they've always been discreet but I do like the personal idea of having friends and family film and have someone edit it. I've shot lots of family home videos and keep promising myself I'll sit down and edit them one day. Weird how easier life was when home videos were on VHS (too young to remember beyond that!) Now I have stacks of mini-DVs and memory cards about the place!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics