Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs C
Beginner March 2011

Alternative Wedding "Cakes"... anyone having one?

Mrs C, 20 of July of 2010 at 22:52 Posted on Planning 0 30

Hello! Well after a long discussion with H2B this evening it seems that even the £60 M&S plain tiers is more than he wants to spend on cake (grrr!)... but I do think he has a point, to an extent!

So... I got to thinking about wedding cake alternatives. Is anyone doing this?

My thoughts so far...

Cocktail & Champagne Truffles (my sister works here and gets a really really good discount...)

Krispy Kreme Tower (I looove KK)

Mini french fancies and a giant one for cutting

Random Dessert Tarts & Pies

Milk & Cookies!!!

I like the look if the "cheese" cakes but niether me or H2B really like cheese that much. Also loved the cheesecake cakes we saw at a wedding fair but they were too much £, although could try and recreate this with cheaper shop bought/bakery made ones...

What do you think... too wierd? Any more ideas that won't break the bank?

30 replies

Latest activity by atlonglast, 28 of July of 2010 at 21:01
  • laura@smooch
    laura@smooch ·
    • Hide content

I've seen the cheesecake done and love the idea (but I also love cheesecake)

I think the fondant fancies could look really great too x

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

what about 1 M&S teir, and then cupcakes? you could do them yourself maybe?? or 2 m&s teirs? or do you have a local bakery that could do you 3 chocolate cakes stacked? maybe the middle 1 white choc? there a couple of ideas that I can think of!!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Not keen on the truffles because what would you cut?

The KK tower would cost a flipping fortune. I nearly died at the price of 10 so would enough for most of your guests not cost more than £60?

I love the big french fancy cake so a yes for that option.

The random desserts would double up as desserts after the meal as well but I'm not keen on this idea.

Oh a gaint cookie from Millie's to cut and little ones for guests.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

KK donuts will cost you waaaaay more than an M&S cake.

We're having a cheese one. 6 tiers of cheesy goodness (11kg of cheese) for c£200! Here's a quick picture...

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

i got this tin as my mum is doing are cake they are 27CM X 25CM X 13CM i think its a bit diff allso we are gunna dipp them in choc we think need to try it out 1st

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The first part of this email is exactly what I am doing. My best mates old school friend makes them for a living so she's helping me out. 6 Tiers of cupcakes and then an M&S small cake to cut. Then you can Ice the cupcakes in the colour scheme of your wedding.

My cousin had tiers alternating chocolate dipped strawberries, fondant fancies, and little shot glasses of jelly which were very good fun.

xx

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The first part of this email is exactly what I am doing. My best mates old school friend makes them for a living so she's helping me out. 6 Tiers of cupcakes and then an M&S small cake to cut. Then you can Ice the cupcakes in the colour scheme of your wedding.

My cousin had tiers alternating chocolate dipped strawberries, fondant fancies, and little shot glasses of jelly which were very good fun.

xx

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

We're probably having a cake made entirely of fudge!!! I tried this yummy fudge when I went to badminton horse trials, best fudge ever!! SO now we're potentially having an entire fudge cake!! Hehe!!

• Little fluff
    Beginner September 2011
    Little fluff ·
    • Hide content

I have thought about the french fancy idea, think its great.

tmr1234 i'm lovin those cake tins x

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

I am also going for the cupcake idea with a fruit cake on top for cutting. Luckily for me though this is one of the things that is being paid for by family so don't have to worry too much about budget. I have told them to expext it to be around £300 although I have no idea if this is the right kind of budget??

I am looking at something like this:

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

I am going for a traditional three tier cake, but only because a friend of my dad's is making it and my dad is paying for it. Otherwise i would have been very happy with an M&S cake! But i really love the French Fancy idea!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I love these:

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

I could eat that top one now for my breakfast Sherrie!! Yummy

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Sawah ·
    • Hide content

I agree. I wonder if that would work out much cheaper than a wedding cake because they are quite expensive arent they?

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    cassmk2 ·
    • Hide content

Very expensive but F A B U L O U S!!!!!!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Giant french fancies look amazing!

we are having baked cheesecake and my mum is making it to save a few more pennies!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh my god, that is making me drool!!!!

i also know id eat far too much fudge and feel queezy! I wouldnt want to share any of the fudge!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We always get trays of KK delivered to work, never had to buy them myself so no idea how expensive they are!

Sherrie they look fabulous but expensive!

Oooh decisions!

• RubyCheeksandPeachyLips
    RubyCheeksandPeachyLips ·
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of chocolates. and you could buy a see through cake stand for them to go on. Irecently bought one from ebay for my sisters wediding cake and they were great and looked really fantastic.

Im having cake but not a traditional cake.

x

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Krispy Kreme Tower all the way.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Am having cake of cheeses and this is only known to me and OH so will be a surprise to everyone else - we are both big cheese familys.

I have actually ordered and paid for the same one that CB has displayed x yum

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a crochembouche like the one on Sherries pic, it is doubling up as dessert x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I loveee KKs and think they would look FAB! Espeically the decorated variety - they play a big part in mine and OHs weekend ritual so I would like them at ours..

I am a bit sceptical (sp) about how fresh they would be - everyone knows that the best ones are eaten within an hour or so of coming from the vconveryer.! And.. for the purpose of cost cutting i'm not convinced? I guess it depends on how many people you have to serve. With a 12 pack of original for £7 or £10 for a decorated means that to feed 100 people the cost is the same as the M&S wedding cake..

Sorry if that sounds negative - I didn't mean it to be - I think it's a fab idea but it doesn't meet the objective if you know what I mean?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey that is ok... to be honest I have never bought them myself so wasn't aware of the cost!!!

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

My mother in law to be is paying for our cake as part of her wedding present, so I suppose I am very lucky.

3 layers of different cake plus a layer of cupcakes for the kids.

I do really like the KK doughnut idea though, but just 1 is expensive. Maybe they do a large order discount?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

KK's do a buy one get one *cheaper* deal - but can't tell you what the price is. I remember buying it for my best mates 22nd birthday instead of a cake. We stuck candles in and everything! Smiley smile

Also Saying that - Sainsburys do a copy of them and they are 4 for £1 - so they don't hav to be actual KK's....... It's perhaps an option?

• O
    Beginner June 2011
    onedaybride ·
    • Hide content

We've always wanted cupcakes with a small cake for cutting. Luckily we have some good bakers in our families and our idea at the moment is lemon drizzle cupcakes!

I liked the sound of the fondant fancy cake till I read this review: http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/mr-kipling-the-big-french-fancy-cake/1170941/ rather put me off.

I think a cake of cheeses sounds just too weird for me (though I do think it's pretty cool if you want something truly alternative).

Krispy Kreme donuts are pretty scrummy so why not!

• R
    Rustic Daze ·
    • Hide content

I love alternative cake ideas - it's another thing guests will remember. I had 3 Chocolate and Guiness cakes made by a local farmshop/cafe. They were £20 per cake and everybody thought they were delicious.

I also love cup cakes as they're so easy to hand out to guests. My friend made her own wedding cake - it was a stack of brownies - she's a chocoholic!

By the way - I got my Mum one of those big French Fancy cakes for her 60th Birthday party - they're great!

It really depends on your wedding theme as you can choose the cake to match.

Good luck

Philippa

• MrsS29
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsS29 ·
    • Hide content

What about either of these ideas?

3 different flavoured pies on a cake stand (could also double as desert?)

Or a profiterole tower?

I like the french fancy idea too Smiley laugh x

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

I am making my own, kind of like this but milk or dark chocolate instead. Also having Cala lily and thistle sugerpaste sprays.

I love the idea of a three tier cheese display. Not having an eveing buffet so would be nice for nibbles.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics