• Manage your budget plan icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your budget plan icon You are currently on budget !

My budget: 10000

My Cost so far: 7,800

Create a free budget plan to organise your finances!

• Manage your budget
    • Keep track of your spending
    bottom arrow icon
    Manage my Budget
  • Manage your to-do list icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your to-do list icon You have 0 outstanding tasks!
    Tasks Complete: 32 Tasks Outstanding: 0

Create a free personalised to-do list to help make your planning easy and fun!

• Free step-by-step plan and time-line
    • Fun and manageable task list
    Manage my To-Do List Bottom arrow icon
  • New competitions to enter icon
    Budget close icon
    You have not entered any competitions

Make sure you check back regularly as we are always adding new competitions.

View Competitions Page Bottom arrow icon
hide
down arrow icon

"What do you consider your greatest achievement outside of work?"

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free   or   sign in to reply
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • "What do you consider your greatest achievement outside of work?"

• R-A
    • Joined on 10 Mar 2007
    • London, innit.

I have to answer this for a job application form.

While it's a very interesting question, it's pretty tricky to fill in on an anonymous form without mentioning anything that might be controversial/sensitive/personal or prejudice them against you...

So probably no religion/politics/declaring you have 5 small children.... (I don't btw Laugh)

So:

What is your honest answer to the question?

and

What would you write on a job application form (if it's not the same)?

• Re: "What do you consider your greatest achievement outside of work?"

I hate questions like this!  I guess you need to make it something which assists in demonstrating a skill that you have....

If it was me I would say 'moving to New York City without a place to live or actually knowing anyone' - I guess you can read into it that its a courageous thing to do and shows that you like a challenge.

But the danger is that it leaves you open to their interpretation. 

I still witter on about teaching English in China at 18, but nearly 7 years later, I think that one has had its day Laugh

I would probably mention my catering efforts for a local festival weher I feed about 350 people 3 times a day for a week, because it is completely unrelated to anything I would be applying for and shows useful skills like organisation and teamwork and keeping calm under prressure.

Its soooooo hard to quantify some stuff you have done: I am proud of lots of aspects of my life, just not sure how many of them are application form suitable.

• Ashke
    • Joined on 12 May 2008
    • wanting to be somewhere warm

Mine would probably be something along the lines of coaching archery to students at university and surviving! Laugh

Honestly, getting married Laugh

For a job application, would probably be completing my degree, despite several personal problems or completing my Queen's Guide Award. Probably the Queen's Guide Award as it has more transferrable skills.

Ugh I hate questions like this too..  I never know what to put..

I guess mine is going from a complete beginner swimmer (ie hating to go under water, refusing to jump in a pool, only managing a few lengths of self taught crawl and breast stroke) to a PADI Divemaster during which I had to not only do 2 swim tests but face fears about going under water, breathing through my mouth and not nose, going deep etc etc

Swim tests - one for PADI open water - 200m swim, and the other for DM, which was a 4 part test - 400m swim, 800m snorkel / fin swim, float/tread water and 100m towing swim - all of which were timed and you got more points for doing it quicker, there was a cut off and I only got 1 point more than the cut off

I love diving but due to financial, location, temperature. health and work contraints I have been unable to do much this last year and in fact have had to drop from DM status to just master scuba diver as I cant afford to 'maintain' DM status (insurance, medical, padi fees in return for not very much - UK DMs are treated like scivies a bit and dont generally get paid for giving up their time)

I'd probably put my relationship with G&T - over 13 years, I must be doing something right.

At times it has been hard work  (but ultimately rewarding).  It demonstrates loyalty, dedication, an ability to communicate etc.

The future's bright, the future's blue and white.

• R-A
    • Joined on 10 Mar 2007
    • London, innit.

geekypants:

Its soooooo hard to quantify some stuff you have done: I am proud of lots of aspects of my life, just not sure how many of them are application form suitable.

Well, quite.

I'm pretty damn proud of organising a kick-ass wedding but that makes me sound a) Like I am the dullest person in the world and b) Like I'm about to sprog and leave the job

I'm proud of paying my way through medical school, and passing my exams while juggling 2 jobs.

I'm proud of being a pretty good big sister/co-carer for my autistic brother.

What I think I'm gonna put is a charity thing I thought of, set up and ran last yr where loads of us taught each other musical instruments in 2 weeks and then took grade 1 exams for the National Autistic Society. We called it a 'Grade-1-a-thon' Laugh. I don't really care if they think thats crap or twee.

• R-A
    • Joined on 10 Mar 2007
    • London, innit.

Pint&APie:

I'd probably put my relationship with G&T - over 13 years, I must be doing something right.

At times it has been hard work  (but ultimately rewarding).  It demonstrates loyalty, dedication, an ability to communicate etc.

Honestly I think my relationships are the things I'm proudest of. With my siblings but mostly with OH. Aged 16 and 17, noone thought we'd still be together in 6 months but 8 years later we're still having an awesome time Big Smile

Gah, gushing now. Anyway not job-application material methinks.

Mine would probably be programming our heating system so that the heating and hot watter come on at the correct times. It is on a 7 day timer and took me ages to work out!

Becoming the youngest honorary fundraiser and member of the management team for a national childrens charity at 19, I think.

I would probably include that on application forms.

Is it a poor reflection on me that I can never think of anything I've done that I'm proud of, whether in work or out of it? I'm proud of things other people have done, I'm just not sure I've ever done anything pride-worthy.

I reserve the right to be odd.

• NickJ
    • Joined on 9 Feb 2005
    • United Kingdom

representing GB in sport, and winning european championships 3 times.

and no fucking jokes about tiddlywinks baron Laugh

R-A the woman in my last interview ASKED me about wedding planning. I explained fears about sounding dreadfully dull and twee but she genuinely saw it as a feat of organisation.

Although, again, on an anonymous form, I can see your point.

yes, we know it was rhythmic gymnastics, Nick (according to JK)

I've no idea.  I don't think I've done anything really Laugh

Return to: Off Topic Posts
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 12Next >