Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

duggo
Beginner September 2004

Scottish Tablet Recipe (LouM maybe)

duggo, 20 of November of 2008 at 18:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for Tablet. I have the ingredients, but not sure of quantities/instructions as it's years since I made it.

8 replies

Latest activity by Schlaf, 24 of September of 2023 at 16:56
  • Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure about what Lou uses (I love her tablet) but I've made this which is nice, it's Nick Nairn's recipe.

Tablet

400ml condensed milk
    1kg granulated sugar
    250g butter
    25g grated white chocolate (optional but recommended)

Line a baking tin (30x20cm) with greaseproof paper.

Place all the ingredients, except the chocolate, in a large saucepan with 600ml of hot water and bring to the boil before reducing to a medium heat. The temperature is very important - too cold and the tablet will turn brown before it is ready to set, too hot and the tablet will burn on the bottom. The temperature is about right when it is simmering at just over double it's original volume. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the tablet has darkened and started to thicken. Give it a stir at this stage. It will probably have caught a bit at the bottom of the pan but don't worry, this is normal and the bits are dispersed by beating later. You can check if it is ready by removing a teaspoonful onto a cold plate - it should set hard after a couple of minutes.

Now remove the pan from the head and add the white chocolate, if you are using it. Apart from adding extra flavour, it helps the tablet to set. Start beating the mixture with a wooden spoon, or preferably an electric mixer and don't stop until it starts to thicken and set in the pan. It takes about 10 minutes with a wooden spoon and less with an electric mixer.

Pour the mixture into the lined tray and allow to set for 10-15 minutes. Then, using a thin bladed knife cut the tablet into 1cm squares. Leave it for 2-3 hours to harden fully.

Remove the tablet from the tray, breaking it into the squares and store it in an airtight container. Tablet lasts for 4-5 days but I don't expect it will last that long once you have started dishing it out.

• duggo
    Beginner September 2004
    duggo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks MrsM. I have also sampled LouM's tablet so knew her recipe was a good one. Don't have white chocolate, but I see that's optional.

Thanks very much. I now have to decide if I feel energetic enough to make that tonight, or if I should stick with the chocolate crispies only (just made them - took 5 minutes) :-)

• M
    Moglie ·
    • Hide content

Http://scruss.com/tablet.html I have this one saved, I must have got it from a post on here (possibly Zebra?)

• catgirl
    catgirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this it the one i have made and its lovely

• Imelda
    Beginner July 2008
    Imelda ·
    • Hide content

I use the one here: https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usrecipes/scottishtablet/

which LouM once posted. My Scottish OH is approving.

• Fairyclown
    Fairyclown ·
    • Hide content

I made tablet on Monday night! (it was totally rank, the sugar hadn't dissolved properly!!)

I'll try Mrs M's receipe another night!

• *ginni of the lamp*
    *ginni of the lamp* ·
    • Hide content

LouM sent me some tablet once, it was very yummy.

• duggo
    Beginner September 2004
    duggo ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all the recipes, especially the one with pictures. It must be 20 years since I made any. I didn't get around to it last night, but will definitely do it over the weekend.

My english colleagues need educating in what a wonderful thing it is?

• S
    Beginner August 2014 Inverness
    Schlaf ·
    • Hide content
    Its a Nick Nairn recipe who is LouM

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics