Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

Gift List wording

MayDay, 12 of August of 2008 at 21:49 Posted on Planning 0 7

Evenig ladies

I am planning of having little A6 postcards within our invites, 1 for directions, 1 for the reply card and 1 for the gift list. I was just wondering what wording you have chosen for the gift list details? We will probably have our list at John Lewis. I would like to say something like we have set up a gift list, but please don't feel obliged to buy us a gift...but gentler wording etc etc. I need a header for the card too rather than just 'Gift List details'. Any ideas??

7 replies

Latest activity by MayDay, 13 of August of 2008 at 22:13
  • M
    Beginner
    MayDay ·
    • Hide content

Oh forgot to say that I'm not keen on the poems either (don't want to offend anyone - they're just not my style). Thanks

• Tilly Floss
    Tilly Floss ·
    • Hide content

JL will give you little cards to include

• Champagne
    Beginner June 2007
    Champagne ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps you could head it up "Guest Information" and put something like we did:

We do not expect presents but if you wish to, we have a gift list at John Lewis which will open on x date.

You could then include additional info e.g. venue rules e.g. parking, on the day timings, taxi numbers & hotel details.

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

We've got our list with JL and they do give you cards to include but decided not to use these as they're normally the first thing to fall out of the envelope and I didn't want that with our invitations.

So, we just put a short line at the bottom of our information sheets - which had directions, hotels, contact details etc on as well. We fussed a lot over the wording but in the end we decided to just be straightforward about it - people will buy a gift if they want to, they won't if they don't, so we just wrote:

'Should you wish to buy a gift for sdaisy22 and H2B, they have a gift list at John Lewis, list number 123456. The list is open for 8 weeks from 14th September. You can buy a gift online www.johnlewis.com, by phone **** or in store.

I think it was also a bit easier for us to word it like this as the invitations came from my parents, not from us.

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!!! Yeay - common sense prevails!!!!! Thats EXACTLY what we did - no p**sing around saying we don't want presents etc etc - everyone knows how awkward it is broaching with the wedding present thing - I would just say it like it is!

• penguin1977
    Beginner
    penguin1977 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry was that a bit harsh? Didn't mean to be! ?

• P
    Beginner October 2008
    PenelopeP ·
    • Hide content

We put "Having you at our wedding is the most important thing to us and we don't expect gifts. However, if you would like to give something, we have a gift list at John Lewis. The details are enclosed and you can order in any John Lewis store or via the John Lewis website."

Then I just included the cards with the invite. Most people do want to get you something and appreciate the guidance, so chill out about it. Almost everyone has a wedding list and no-one's going to think you're gift grabbing lunatics only out to get a new toaster.

Pen

• M
    Beginner
    MayDay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone I 'googled' it the other day and on some other wedidng forums so many people said it wasn't 'etiquette' to add into the invited which seems alot of tosh to me as I wouldn't be offended. In fact, I'd be pretty confused about what to buy without it. Thanks again!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics