Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

flailing wildly

nuisance text messages - WWYD? - UPDATED

flailing wildly, 19 of May of 2009 at 15:22 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

I've recently begun to receive text messages from several unknown numbers, which whilst not yet at the 'nuisance' stage I have a feeling might turn so. The first one I received, , I texted back with a message along the lines of 'Sorry, I don't recognise your number, you might have the wrong number - who are you trying to contact?' The fact that they then texted back with my name means that it's someone I know, or connected to someone I know. They were unresponsive when I asked their name.

Since then, I've received quite a few more messages, from several different numbers, but obviously from the same person as the format is pretty much the same, 'Are you ok sexy', that kind of thing. I know it's hardly a hanging offence, but having been on the wrong side of nuisance phonecalls before I'm a bit concerned. The messages have come in at all times of day or night, and since then I haven't responded to them (not wanting to give them further ammunition), but still they keep coming. I've tried ringing the numbers several times (hiding my own number) but it's always gone straight to voicemail.

I'm thinking that it's perhaps someone with a bunch of SIM cards to hand (the numbers are fairly close consecutively). If it doesn't stop, can I contact my phone provider and ask them to block the numbers at their end? Unfortunately I don't have a 'block number' option on my cheapy crappy phone, and I don't want to get into the realm of buying a new one just for that. The fact that there are several numbers really bothers me though, in case it just goes to yet another new number and continues. Perhaps I'm being a bit oversensitive, but I as I mentioned, I did have a nuisance call issue many years ago to my house phone when I lived with my parents, and it was absolutely horrible - calling on the dot of midnight, on Christmas Day, never when my brother in the room near the phone so we worried the house was being watched, and the only time they spoke, they asked for me.

anyway, I digress. WWYD?

Update:

Well, O2 are bloody worse than useless. I can either 'change my number' or get another phone (obviously at a cost, as I'm on PAYG) which has number blocking. So essentially they won't do a damn thing about it. Why should I have to change my number and go to the trouble and cost of letting everyone I know my new number (including having new business cards printed) - when it's patently someone I know so I'll probably be giving them the new number again anyway?

Knownowt, as they mentioned my name in the first text, it's definitely someone who knows me or knows of me, or else I wouldn't be bothered about it.

8 replies

Latest activity by flailing wildly, 20 of May of 2009 at 14:27
  • HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, I don't blame you for being creeped out. You can absolutely get your provider to block numbers, and probably get them to do something about nuisance calls too.

Urgh, some people are just utter losers ?

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

That's pants FW. I'd give your provider a call (apparently they should have a dedicated nuisance texts/calls dept) and get some advice from them. Is there several no.s used in rotation or is it a new number every time? It's not likely to be an anon text service like this http://www.phonytext.com/ is it?

• flailing wildly
    flailing wildly ·
    • Hide content

Thanks both, that's good to know re the blocking of numbers. I haven't had a message (yet) today but I'll look up the nuisance call dept for my provider and ask about getting the numbers I've had so far blocked.

Chicken, it's several numbers being used in rotation, it seems, which is why I thought it might be a bunch of SIM cards someone has got hold of. Fark, I didn't even know that services like that Phonytext even existed - that's quite horrible actually.

I am quite creeped out by it, HH. I just can't help but think what kind of sicko find this behaviour amusing. I want to cut his tiny dick off and shove it down his throat ?. What makes me even madder is that they patently don't know the difference between your and you're. Great, targeted by a barely literate perv ?

Thinking about it, this is the third time something like this has happened, not the second. When I was a teenager, I worked in a corner shop which use to receive frequent phone calls from some complete weirdo who would jack himself off on the line. Bleurgh. I wonder if he was thinking of the shopgirls or the wide selection of groceries and cigarettes on offer whilst he was doing it, ick.

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I used to man a free phone customer service line that people used to call up to find their nearest supermarket. Man used to call frequently and jack off to us reading out addresses. I don't know if it was Budgens in Tring that got him off or the fact it was a free number.

I hope you get it sorted soon dude (or he/she gets bored). Can imagine it's quite unnerving.

• Dazzlegirl
    Beginner January 2007
    Dazzlegirl ·
    • Hide content

How awful for you and that it brings back such bad memories.

I would definately contact your phone provider.

I used to work for Childline as a telephone counsellor and Im sad to say that we too had pervy calls with people jacking off. used to make me sick.

• T
    Beginner October 2008
    tumbleweed ·
    • Hide content

I'd simply change my mobile number - if it happens again it's someone you know.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Could it just be phone spam number fishing? I've had a couple of texts saying things like "I miss you- can't stop thinking about our sexy times" or whatever that I think are clearly just trying to get a response.

• Lady Falafel
    Beginner April 2006
    Lady Falafel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure this isn't entirely true. My memory is hazy but I thought they had a duty under the Telecoms act (84?) to intervene in harassment cases. Did you speak to the Nuisance calls dept, or just the general customer services?

I used to have to get numbers blocked a lot at work and it took a bit of arguing but it got done. Damn baby brain, I can't remember the details, I'm sorry.

Otherwise, you can start saving the messages and get the police involved if you want?

• flailing wildly
    flailing wildly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I followed through the 'nuisance calls / texts' section on their website and sent an email to the section it advised I get in touch with. I couldn't ring them as I was at work, unfortunately, so I don't know who or what section actually dealt with the query. I've emailed them back saying I'm not happy that effectively they're saying I have to pay to get rid of the messages (either by buying a new phone or paying to get a new number distributed / printed up) so I'll wait to hear back from them. Idiots.

On the plus side, no messages today, as yet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics