Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dilly2012
Beginner August 2012

Theme and Colour Help

Dilly2012, 2 of April of 2011 at 19:32 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi all

Am hoping for some help from you lovely ladies.

I am getting married August 2012 and have church, venue and TOG booked. I'm now wanting to decide on a theme and colour so I can carry on with the planning. The problem is I can't make up my mind and keep finding different ideas so changing my current choice. The only thing I am certain on is that I want freesias in my flowers as they remind me of my Grandmother!

Feeling a bit lost with all the planning, ideas and not knowing what I want (h2b is fab at suggesting ideas and wants whatever I want apart from emerald green). Did anyone else go through this or how did you pick your theme? ☹️

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions or flashes! x

21 replies

Latest activity by karen945, 4 of April of 2011 at 22:18
  • I
    Beginner August 2011
    izzy_on_the_rocks ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, I am afriad I may not be much help - we decided on the colour scheme simply because it is my fav colour! I know some of the ladies on here have done wonderful mood boards etc.

With Freesias you have lots of colours to play with. Perhaps it might help to think about what colours suit you/OH/bridesmaids etc? Also the colour of your dress may influence the rest of the colour scheme.

Maybe would help if you told us what sort of ideas you are already toying with?

x

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I probably won't be much help either ... I started knowing for sure that I wanted teal. I'm now having purple!! I figured that teal would be quite hard to match to anything. Purple suited my bridesmaids brilliantly.

It might also help to think about the colour of your venue eg. if there's a lot of red in the rooms, you're probably not going to want bright pink etc.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

We decided on a colour scheme and then went to a venue dressers with ideas of what we wanted and hey kind of told us what theme we were working towards and it grew from there. I am so pleased with how it has all come together.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

We found our theme in quite a funny way. We'd joked about using our mutual love of Sci Fi in the wedding and one day h2b stumbled across a very space-y tie that he was desperate to wear. It happens to feature lots of shades of blue so we decided to take the plunge, settle on having the ties and using the blues with silver to build up our sci fi theme!

You could always start by making a list of themes you don't want. It sounds a bit mean, but I used to look through loads of photos from other people's weddings and make a mental list of all the things I thought wouldn't suit our wedding. It's A place to start at least!

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all! ?

All the ideas I've been toying with are based around purple as it's my favourite colour. I've been think of purple with silver/ivory, purple with thistles (OH is from a scottish family and I'll have a scottish surname) or from a pic I've found today purple with sagey green. This is what I found today:

I like strong colours so not looking at pastels apart from acsents in the bouquets. x

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I've just done a freesia Bouquet for a Bride. With the green you could keep the colours quite simple with either Ivory or White & then just use greenery in the flowers & centrepieces.Use Emerald Green Ribbon on the handles of the Bouquets & Mens Cravats & Hankies.Here are a few ideas:

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

How about this:

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sherrie. The second lot of pics are lovely. (OH doesn't like emerald green but thanks for looking). I like the sage green and could possibly combine it with a brighter, deeper purple. Thanks for finding those!! The freesias will make everything smell lovely! xx

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content

We've gone for our favourite colour.. purple with white and silver. We're also having freesias on the tables as they are our favourite flower.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

You can still have freesias in purple:

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content

The 1st bouquet is lovely. Thank you for being so helpful Sherrie!!

Karen945 - don't suppose you've got a mood board??!! ?

Definitely think we'll be going for purple - a lovely deep, bright one with ???

Just got to chose the ??? colour now!!!

Thanks for all your responses ladies! x

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

I love purple with that sage green colour, it looks really classy.

Yellow looks fab too if you wanted to be brighter. This is beautiful

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

Definitley like the purple with sage green idea, think it will look so elegant.

Anna

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

A few more ideas for you:

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Ello daye twin!!!

We're having issues...we know we don't want Pink (OH hates it!), Dark Red (Sisters wedding), Sage Green, or pale blue. We also don't like dark colours. So, we've decided on Turquoise!!

Our venue is in the middle of the countryside. We're having hog roast & bouncy castle, so I suggested having a Summer Fete theme. So far we've stuck with this and come up with loads of little ideas.

Thing is I'm stuck whether to make Turquoise the main colour, with lots of pastel shades across the tables, in flowers etc...or have Turquoise & Cherry Red as our main colours. Kinda swaying for the 2nd option!

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all! Am liking the purple with sage green the most at the moment. I'm glad some of you said 'classy' and 'elegant' as that's what we're aiming for! We'll see if this idea sticks or something else takes my fancy. Hopefully when I find my dress and then the bridesmaid dresses it will all come together. Want the purple to be bright enough for a summer wedding otherwise it might look too spring like! Luckily our venue has very neutral colours in the main room but if I remember correctly the carpet is a light green - perfect. Thank you all so so much again!

@ChelleB2B6 - I love the turquoise and cherry idea. I'd never be brave enough to pull something like that off but it'll look fab with the summer fete theme.

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Dont think i can be of much help either, but we are having a New York theme and our colours are Fushia Pink & Purple. We picked our theme as this is where we got engaged and i love love love New York!!!! Our colours we picked because I love the colour Purple but thought it might look a little too dark for our summer wedding - we are getting married in June so thought we would be bring in another colour and Fushia Pink or Hot Pink went really nice with the purple!

Good luck in your search!

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had considered bright/hot pink but my Dad's face was a picture when I mentioned it so feel the effort of convincing him doesn't seem worth it. Am considering a trip to B&Q (other DIY stores are available!!) and raiding their paint charts and playing around with them. x

• lisaanne
    Beginner April 2012
    lisaanne ·
    • Hide content

I'm having sage and purple!! Here's a mood board I put together if you would like to have a look! Smiley laugh

• Dilly2012
    Beginner August 2012
    Dilly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you lisaanne. Its' gorgeous. The more I see, the more I like. LOVE those cupcakes! We're having cupcakes so a great pic to have to show the cake lady. Thank you again!!! x

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Dilly

I'm at wotk at the mo and haven't got round to doing a mood board yet. (two weeks away on a ferry lends itself to forgetting to do things!). I may get chance to complile one on Wednesday when i'm at home for a couple of hours and have access to my camera.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics