• Manage your budget plan icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your budget plan icon You are currently on budget !

My budget: 10000

My Cost so far: 7,800

Create a free budget plan to organise your finances!

• Manage your budget
    • Keep track of your spending
    bottom arrow icon
    Manage my Budget
  • Manage your to-do list icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your to-do list icon You have 0 outstanding tasks!
    Tasks Complete: 32 Tasks Outstanding: 0

Create a free personalised to-do list to help make your planning easy and fun!

• Free step-by-step plan and time-line
    • Fun and manageable task list
    Manage my To-Do List Bottom arrow icon
  • New competitions to enter icon
    Budget close icon
    You have not entered any competitions

Make sure you check back regularly as we are always adding new competitions.

View Competitions Page Bottom arrow icon
hide
down arrow icon

Do all wedding Dresses come up small

Paris09
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Do all wedding Dresses come up small

Do all wedding Dresses come up small? Im a size 18-20 but the dress is a size 22 that i have ordered does that seem normal? I know it can also be altered two sizes smaller if i loose weight it just seems weird. Not that bothered - just wanted to know if its normal.

Daisypath

• Re: Do all wedding Dresses come up small

• hkj
    • Joined on 28 Feb 2009

I am in a similar position to you. I have been desperately dieting to get from a size 20-22 to a size 16-18 and was a bit gutted when the ladies in the shop told me i should order a size 20. But i have heard it said plenty of times that the dress sizes do come up small, guess it depends on the designer.

I wouldnt worry about it though, it is the fit on the day that counts.

This does seem to be the way things go for dress sizing, although im still at a loss as to why????? its like you can be one size in one shop and another size somewhere else, surely if you are a size 10 18 or 26 it shouldnt matter where you shop weather its jeans or a wedding dress that is your size!!! i also think it seems particularly cruel to 'downsize' wedding dresses as most of us would like to lose a little before the day and if we have tried our hardest and then still come out a size larger than our usual dress it can be quite disheartening!!! x

Daisypath - (y9eq)

Wedding dresses do usually come up a bit on the small size and there are a couple of very good reasons for this.

First of all, there is (often) less of a difference in inches between sizes of bridal dresses than there are between high street sizes.  This helps to ensure a better fit in many cases.  This is why you generally find that the smaller sizes are far closer in size, whereas as you go up the sizes, the discrepancy gets bigger an bigger as the difference in inches becomes greater.

Secondly, bridal dresses aren't usually stretchy, whereas most high street clothes are either stretchy or cut on the bias.  This is done so that they (high street) fit well regardless of a persons shape.  Very, very few women actually fit perfectly into a single size.  But with a bit of "give" in the fabric, a woman with (for example) a size 14 bust, 14 waist, and 16 hips can fit into a size 14 dress from the high street.  However, this doesn't work with a bridal dress as the fabric doesn't have that give.  In this example, a size 16 dress would be required, to ensure a good fit over the hips, with the rest of the dress needing to be taken in.

Also, and I really hate to say this, but unfortunately it is very much the truth!  LOTS of women actually don't wear the correct size of clothing.  Again, due to the stretch in most high street fabrics, we can get away with wearing at least a size smaller than we really should (and often a lot more!).  This means that when it comes to bridal dresses its a shock to see what size we actually measure!

There is also quite a bit of difference between manufacturers sizing in bridal just like there is on the high street.  For example, I can easily wear a sz 10 jeans in next (well - pre-pregnancy I could!), but in Jane Norman I need at least a 14, and am far better in a 16 as they come up so small.  Personally I couldn't care less if the label says 16 as long as the clothes look good Laugh  Its not like i'm going to walk around with the label hanging out!  Incidentally, in one of the bridal manufacturers we stocked, I meansured a size 18 because of my hips! lol.

Beautiful bridal tiaras and bridal jewellery

Join us on Facebook

It does seem to be the norm although my dress was a size 14 and I'm a 10 up top and 12 below and I needed it taken in a good bit.  Mine is a Ronald Joyce.

🍰🍹 Happily sitting on the OM bench since 9th April 2010 🍹🍰

I left my bridal shop nearly in tears as I was a comfortable size 10 then and needed a size 14 dress. They said my hips needed the bigger size but that doesn't make sense because my hips are the smallest part of me and all normal clothes are too baggy over my hips and bum. 

I know what Kerri is saying is true that is doesn't matter what size the labels says but it's so disheartening that when you want to look your best you are left feeling fat and huge because of the label.

x

Hitcher Discount of 10% off available on jewellery and hair accessories with code 'Hitched10'.

www.lynseysdesigns.co.uk     www.facebook.com/lynseysdesigns1

Oh no, I'll never find a wedding dress then. If I see a top that I love and my size is too small. I REFUSE to buy it a size bigger. lol I know all high street store sizes are difference but it's the principle. lol

TBH - I probably won't be that bad with my wedding dress(i hope) as long as I feel and Look like a princess I'll be happy!! xx

The hitcher formally known as Bailey_Wailey Smile

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

I'm a 10 on top and 12- 14 on bottoms depending on how fitted they are so the bridal shop recommended a 14. They measured me & that was the best fit. I was happy with this as I tried a sample that was a 12 of my dress and it didn't fit over my hips! I'd rather it fit there & have to be taken in on top because I know however much weight I lose it won't effect my hips very much at all

Mine came up a size smaller than i usually wear, i guess i'm the odd one out.  I made sure they checked the measurements over and over and i got measured by 2 different women as I wasn't convinced! Make me :) though!

OM since 8-9-10

yes they do come up small - one thing to learn (especially for bigger girls) before you start trying dresses on - all wedding dress designers are EVIL.

actually, wStarstruckS.

(i am a sz 18, dress was a 22, i just cut the label out!)

Baby girl Oct 2011, no 2 due April 2013

bluewater:

( i just cut the label out!)

Haha i may have to do that depending what size i end up needing!! lol

L xx

The hitcher formally known as Bailey_Wailey Smile

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Mrs Spink it's not just you! I was wearing a high street 20 when I got my dress (lost a stone since then) and the shop sample was an 18 and that fitted! However my dress has an a line skirt and my hips aren't particularly big plus it's also got a corset back - so there's probably a fair amount of leeway depending on the style?

Mine was exactly the same size as I wear on the high street! The woman did want to order me a size larger than that, though. She was speaking to one of her colleagues right in front of me and said 'I'd order her a size up. Her hips are only 0.5 inches smaller than the size, she might split the seams'! Made me [:'(]

Jen x

Hi All,

The sizes of the wedding dresses are odd. I'm usually a size 10 dress but have tried a number on over the weekend and an 8, a 10 and a 12 all fitted in the same way - all though were by different designers which shows that they do cut their dresses differently as they were all very similar in shape! I went into one shop and there was actually a sign on the wall saying that you should pick a dress a size above your normal dress size as they come up small, so don't be disheartened, just go with what fits best, no one will know what size the label says - especially if you cut it out! ;-)

xx

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)