Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Roobarb
Beginner January 2007

Rich, Famous and Homeless

Roobarb, 24 of June of 2009 at 22:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 31

Anyone watch this? What did you think?

(Aside from the fact that Jamie Blandford came across as an absolute plonker, obviously)

31 replies

Latest activity by Hyacinth, 26 of June of 2009 at 12:20
  • ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

I thought it was shocking.

I have on the odd occasion, given the spare change that was in my pocket, but I usually just walk passed homeless. This has been a real eye opener for me.

I often go into Shelter, to buy records; but for fear of sounding too ignorant and naive, I'm going to try to buy them a coffee or a sandwich instead.

x

ETA - by saying "instead" I mean giving a sandwich, rather than the loose change, which I have no doubt, some of it goes on drink and drugs. (sorry, I know that this is a sweeping generalisation)

Beginner January 2007
    *Pipster* ·
    • Hide content

I watched, and thought it was good, and good on them for taking part. Certainly made me think.

And I agree - Jamie Blandford - what a tosser! Do you think he thought they'd just wander the streets a bit then get put up in a nice hotel every night?

• Hoobygroovy
    Hoobygroovy ·
    • Hide content

I'm amazed the Marquis signed up for it in the first place. Yes, he's a complete nobber and nothing will change that but for him it was probably also the biggest culture shock. Heck, I couldn't have done it and I haven't lived a life of luxury like he has. I think it takes a strength of character he doesn't have.

It wasn't comfortable viewing, that's for sure. Not sure it's going to make me any more likely to engage on a personal level with a homeless person though, I'm ashamed to say.

• MrsMcB2B
    Beginner November 2009
    MrsMcB2B ·
    • Hide content

What channel? I can maybe catch it on iplayer?

Beginner January 2007
    *Pipster* ·
    • Hide content

It was on BBC1, and there's a second part on tomorrow evening at 9 I think.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

I was amazed at that young woman who gave Rosie Boycott £40. I wouldn't even give someone on the streets the £8 she gave her at first, let alone go to the cashpoint and take out that much for them. She's obviously a much kinder hearted soul than me.

Bruce Jones seems to me to be very affected by it, poor soul.

I was quite disappointed in Jamie Blandford - I know he's had a troubled past, but I never imagined he'd be quite as much of a pratt as that. So I take it he spent the first night in the posh hotel then, and not the car park?

• Orly Bird
    Beginner April 2007
    Orly Bird ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Programme or not, there's no reason why you shouldn't. One of the people I most admire is an ex Big Issue seller, who I met whilst he was on the streets. Homeless and street people aren't that different to you and I.

Looks like the same format as 'Filthy Rich and Homeless' that BBC3 did last year; Craig Last was involved in that one too.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

We watched it too and again, though the posh bloke was a real tw@t. I said to H that I don't give money to homeless people, mainly because I can't be sure it's not going towards booze or drugs. I'd rather give them a bar of chocolate or something.

• N
    Beginner September 2008
    nutfluff ·
    • Hide content

I didn't see this programme. I expect I'll get flamed for this but I never, ever give anything to homeless people (apart from buying Big Issue). This is because when I lived in Manchester there were several 'homeless' people begging around the student areas. I know for a fact that they weren't homeless at all (even know where 2 of them actually lived, and I can assure you it wasn't some grotty squat or anything - better than my accommodation at the time to be honest). So basically, unless I know for certain that they are actually homeless, I wont give anything. The ones I saw in Manchester made an absolute fortune by begging - all tax free, and since they clearly weren't working I assume they were also claiming benefits etc. Why should I give away what I have worked hard for to someone who (a) doesn't really need it, and (b) could quite easily earn their own money the hard way?

I know this is unfair on the people who really need it, and maybe what I saw was unusual, but that is how I now feel <shrug>

• T
    Toblerone ·
    • Hide content

I reckon if I was homeless and on the streets, I'd probably want to buy booze and drugs, just to make it all go away (at least for a little while). I always feel incredibly guilty going past people begging, and sometimes I will stop and offer a coffee or a sandwich, but I always try and at least respond to them if they have asked me for something, it must be awful (for the genuine ones obv) to have to screw up your courage and ask a complete stranger for money, without being either treated as if you are invisible or worse still, abused. They're still people at the end of the day and you never know how someone came to be in that position. It can happen to anyone.

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content

I feel sort of the opposite. The only charity I give money to at the moment is Shelter, I volunteer there too, and I hope that my contributions help towards their campaign to minimise homelessness in this country. I take part in their campaign in raising awareness too, as a large-scale thing.

When it comes to giving someone sitting in the rain at my feet a few pounds, I don't care if it goes on alcohol or drugs. In fact, I live in Glasgow and very many of our homeless are drug/alcohol abusers - but when your life is a living hell of loneliness, hopelessness, desperation, pain and shame then somehow giving someone that 'quick fix' of vodka or heroin doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world. Not that I'd ever give them drink or alcohol (I took one young girl to Costa for coffee and food instead of giving her cash as I was sure her pimp would take it off her) but these people have illnesses and addictions, without the help and support of family friends and NHS infrastructure, and are battling that alone. I can't make that go away for them, but if they do what they need to do to be happy for 10 mins, that's ok with me.

• T
    Toblerone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree with this. Who the hell would i be, to stand in judgement? It must be worse than bloody awful living on the streets.

• Sah
    Beginner July 2006
    Sah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Having thought about homelessness after watching a 'Sectret Millionaire' when he went to Blackpool, I do think that most people would turn to some sort of mood altering substance just to survive the awfulness of living on the streets. I can't imagine existing in those conditions without something to blur reality a bit. So I now do give money to homeless people not just offer to buy them a sandwich.

What I find so heartbreaking is the idea that a lot of people on the streets have never had any part of the life I've had - from what I understand a lot of homeless people come from abusive/troubled homes and go through the care system before ending up on the streets. They have just never had a chance or a break in life. And no-one chooses the situation they are born into - it just makes me feel incredibly privileged.

• M
    Beginner
    Mrs JMP ·
    • Hide content

I always stop & give a hot drink & food. No matter where I go, if MrJMP has stopped to go into a shop & I spy a homeless person, I go into a place & get something for them.

Something I vividly remember as a 5yr old child on embankment has stuck in my mind & I remember holding my Dad's hand tight & feeling sad that these people never had that secure feeling I had. I look at my Children now & think the love I feel for them & the feelig of wanting to keep them safe, they had had some point in their life & to loose that is awful.

At school we did Soup runs weekly, until Westminster Council stopped it. In Winter we used to hand out clothes & it got to a point where some had found their feet & were then given interviews for jobs, so we used to give them work clothes. Now all our unwanted clothes/furniture etc... ges to the Salvation Army centre at Whitechapel who pass it on to homeless & those with nothing who have been given a roof over their heads.

It's the same as an elderly person being on their own, doesn't take much for a knock on the door & quick hello, or do they need anything done. I don't ever label or prejudge somebody & if by helping out in small ways it can build faith & give them the courage to seek for more. I guess although I'm busy, I'm not too busy to be able to stop & help others. I can make time for them.

Will watch Programme later , as sky+ it.

• Old Nick Esq.
    Old Nick Esq. ·
    • Hide content

I seldom give anything I must admit, other than cigarettes, but I do make a point of meeting the eye of people asking for cash.

• Ms. Scarlett
    Beginner April 2007
    Ms. Scarlett ·
    • Hide content

It's hard to know what to do when you live in a big city where there are so many homeless people - I often give a quid or so but I can't give it to everyone. I must admit I probably give mostly to young women (I guess it makes me think even more "there but for the grace of God...")

I agree with Toblerone, I don't judge them if they spend it on drink and drugs, it's up to them. I never realised that about ex-armed forces, atticusred - how truly appalling (appalling for anyone, of course, but especially people whose misfortune has been brought about my serving their country)

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

I don't think I do judge people, and I do understand what people have said about blocking out the pain with substances (hell you saw it last night, when Bruce Jones spent all his money on beer rather than food after only 1 night on the street) but - I couldn't give someone money knowing or believing it was going to be spent on drugs. I just couldn't. AFAIAC it would make me morally although not legally complicit in drug abuse and I just couldn't. The other things is I suppose it's a chicken and egg situ - have they got intor drink/drugs because they were homeless, or have drink/drugs led to their becoming homeless?

I remember one of the most upsetting things I ever saw in the area I used to work (Gorbals, Glasgow) - a guy, obviously a homeless guy, been into an offy and got himself a cheap bottle - he dropped it as soon as he got into the street and it smashed - he was down on his hands and knees licking it off the pavement. He had a dog with him and was trying to keep its feet off the broken glass as he licked it up. I was going to give him money to replace it but I had no cash in my purse. I was so sad for him, that he felt reduced to licking drink off a dirty pavement. What has happened to you that that is how your life has become ? it was so sad.

• J
    Beginner May 2003
    Janna ·
    • Hide content

Well we're obviously a cynical household because when that girl gave her £40, we (my h and I) concluded that whilst it was a lovely thing to do, we'd put good money on the possibility that it wouldn't have happened had the BBC cameras not been there. Perhaps I'm doing the poor girl a huuuuuge dis-service...

An excellent programme though - just wish (for the reasons indicated above) that the cameras were covert and not a crew following each of them around - it distracts from what would otherwsie be a very true-to-life experiment.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I missed the beginning, is there any kind of explanation for the camera crews being there?

I take your point re the girl Janna but I have to say tv crew or not, there's no way I'd have put myself out of pocket by £40 just to make myself look good! ? but maybe she is richer than me ?

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh God, that so sad. I've never forgotten seeing a man on Christmas eve who was shaking and crying, curled up in a ball with a paper cup.

I understand what you mean about drugs- I really struggle with that. If I were homeless I would certainly crave oblivion, and it would make sense to do so with drugs rather than alcohol which are cheaper and you need less of. But it is illegal, thats my money going to Drug Dealers and thats what I find hard to accept.

I read a fab book called wasted a few years ago, a memoir written by a recovered herion addict who ended up on the streets. He said that in central London there really is no reason to be on the streets, bar addiction (hostels won't let you stay if you are using) and mental illness, where you can maybe slip through the tracks and be unable to help yourself. For the most part being on the streets is prefereable (no shortage of food being thrown out, lots of donantions, lots of opportunity for petty theft etc)

He also said many beggars are on crack or meth- speed freaks can sit in one place for hours on end, in all weathers, no problem. They are often paid by other addicts whose drugs make them more lively to sit there all day.

Anyway, none of these things make much difference to the actual problem but I thought it was interesting.

I think Shelter is probably one of the best charities I know of and would really like to work with them. TBH I'd much rather donate to them than give money to begars. Thats because I suspect beggars are just a tiny percentage of the homeless, and why should they get all the money just because they have finally lost all dignity, or maybe didn't have it in the first place? TBH I'd rather a help a family in a homeless hostel.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

I don;t always give money when asked- living in London, I'm asked several times a day and it simply isn't possible to give to everyone. I would always give money though, never food- it doesn't massively bother me if there's a chance it will be spent on drink or drugs, I'm sure I'd want those things too if I lived on the streets. I also find the idea of buying food a bit patronising and quite impractical- homeless people have needs beyond food and drink (money for a shower or to catch a bus , say)

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I had a friend whose boyfriend at the time was heavily involved in helping the homeless- we once went out for a meal and he invited a homeless person to join us on the way- anyway, she spent a few weeks making extra sandwiches for her lunch and giving them to a men begging at liverpool st.

Eventually he said "I don't mean to be ungrateful love but..." he opened up his bag and it was rammed with donated food. she asked him what he'd like instead and he said socks. So she went off to primark and bought him a big pack each month or so.

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

I think anyone can end up homeless, it only takes an unfortunate turn of events, and if you don't family or friends who can support you financially in the long-term you're shafted.

People you see on the streets, sleeping rough, almost always have a "story" as far as I can make out. As people mentioned, it's common for rough sleepers to be ex-armed forces or people with mental illness, and children who are in local authority care are another group at high risk for being homeless in the future.

I try to donate to groups like Shelter or Centrepoint or Crisis because they've got the knowledge on how to help the most, and I'll buy the Big Issue to help individuals. However, in the past I've given to beggars because there's only so many times you can walk past people in such desperate need without trying to make even a small difference.

It annoys me when people complain about Big Issue vendors "not being homeless" when what they mean is they aren't sleeping rough. That's because Big Issue vendors are allowed to sell until they are set up properly and have a permanent roof over their head and the means to maintain it.

I guess it's a bit frustrating that homeless tends to equal rough sleeper when it just means having no permanent address - it's such a big social issue.

• H
    Hickory ·
    • Hide content

I think KN is completely right about the fact that homeless people need money for more than food. I know one Big Issue seller I spoke to was trying to save a portion of his money to buy his son a birthday present. He might be a bit hungry and in shabby clothes but he still wanted to show his son that he was a part of his life and hoepfully that he would be 'less ashamed' of his dad. Sandwiches don't really cut it for that.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

It's on again now folks.

Need to do baby bottles and stuff so sky plussing as might not get to see it all just now

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

The big Issue guy was really, really out of order, although I can see his point, the guy with the heroin addict just didn;t seem to understand the basics of addiction at all.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No he didn't but to be fair, it's very very hard to get your head round isn't it? That drugs come over and above everything else just to get through the day, that he wasn't capable of thinking "oh I need to get this thing from the town hall first and score later", it's hard when you've not got that kind of thing controlling you to get your head round it.

Bruce Jones seemed very deeply affected by it, I really really felt for him.

I actually found it very upsetting last night both physically given so much of it was in Glasgow (where I live) and emotionally given things that have happened to my own family.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I cried at this last night. Bruce was really really affected and was just brilliant. That drink tank he ended up in- I can't think of anywhere worse to spend time.

Hardeep (who i'm a really big fan of anyway) seemed to be very mentally affected after only 7 days on the streets and was still roaming the streets when he had the hostel (you can see how these things happen, can'y you? how roaming becomes a way of life) I also cried at the end as they had no "Hardeep returning to his family" scene and I'm worried he does not have any!

Annabel was in a hostel near my house in Pimlico- that was strange. had no idea it was there.

I guess Bruce just didn't understand that mans body needed heroin- I think he probably genuinely thought it was a choice, and he wanted to take it rather than sort himself out.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

Ah bless you re Hardeep - I like him too. I don't know if he has a partner but I know he definitely has a brother at least as his brother Sanjeev Kohli is very well known up here as Navid in Still Game:

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Phew! hopefully he has a full set then!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics